Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatSandWyrm

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2017
Indianapolis
This isn't true at all.

Sorry, but it is:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3d776a

Cunning Stunts

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2019
Sorry, but it is:

I currently have 5 IPS displays and look after another 9 at work. The only ones that have any image retention are the iMacs. I also had one of the first retina MacBook pros which also had the problem, but Apple replaced the machine and the replacement was fine.

I just got a couple of the cheapest 4K monitors you can buy, made by Phillips. They passed the checkerboard test, after being on for a full 10 mins.

None of the links you provided backed up your statement that all IPS displays have image retention.

ThatSandWyrm

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2017
Indianapolis
I currently have 5 IPS displays and look after another 9 at work. The only ones that have any image retention are the iMacs. I also had one of the first retina MacBook pros which also had the problem, but Apple replaced the machine and the replacement was fine.

I just got a couple of the cheapest 4K monitors you can buy, made by Phillips. They passed the checkerboard test, after being on for a full 10 mins.

None of the links you provided backed up your statement that all IPS displays have image retention.
Then you didn’t bother to read my links or investigate further on your own. Try leaving your screen on for a week or two instead of a mere 10 minutes. Even the old CRTs needed to be on at least that long to show appreciable amounts of burn-in.

As for blaming Apple, that’s dumb. It’s not like Apple makes their own panels, they buy them from LG.

Cunning Stunts

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2019
I thought we were talking about image retention that happens during regular use, not testing extremes like leaving a static image up for a week. Some of the panels in Apple products have image persistence after leaving something static for a couple of minutes, not days. This doesn’t happen with most other panels.

Russian Swinga

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2020
California, USA
This has been fixed by a reddit user. The fix is documented here, I can confirm it worked perfectly on my 2014 27" 5K iMac with the original LG panel and severe ghosting effect, now gone:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/bj8nfr
“Hello,

Firstly, I know this is an old issue that most probably does not affect the majority of current Macbook users. However, I thought I would post here just in case this helps someone, as a current MBPR 2012 owner this issue has been driving me crazy but I've finally figured out a way to stop it from happening. And it's really simple:

Go to System Preferences -> Displays -> (Built-in Retina Display) Colour tab -> Calibrate...

In Calibration, drag the white point slider to the far right (most blue light). This causes the screen to become extremely blue, so to cancel this out:

Select Night shift, adjust warmth to preferred level (far right for best results), and set up the night shift schedule to always be on.

Essentially what this does is makes the display dimmer by applying two filters that counter act each other. As a result, the pixels themselves emit less 'light' or colour, and are not driven to the point at which colour retention occurs.

I hope this helps my fellow LG screen MBPR 2012 users out there. This machine is still a beast in many ways and deserves to be treated as such. Shame that Apple won't fix what is essentially their production fault on a laptop that RRPd for £2000.

Thank you for reading!”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.