Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Just wanted to make a quick PS mockup of what I think we'll see in a potential iMac Pro. I made the bezels thinner, the chin thinner, and bumped up the display to 32.5". I used that size because I did some really quick approximate math (probably wrong, lol) to figure that if they went to 6K and kept the same PPI it would be that size—so it would add more desktop space instead of just adding sharpness. Not sure they're ready for the 8K yet. It's also space gray and has one of those rumored new Intel X-series chips that is supposed to come out later this year—a MR article had alluded to it possibly being used in the iMac Pro. Also Pacific is a rumored name for the next version, so I went with that theme in the advertising and wallpaper. I'm not super great at writing copy, so whatever! And they currently use Myriad on the iMac site, but I went with San Francisco.

Let me know what you think. It's not a crazy redesign by any means, but it's what I think is reasonable for us to expect. I didn't do any angle shots because it's too tricky to quickly do in PS and I don't want to spend a whole day in a 3D program messing around.

Attachments

• iMac-Pro-macduke-med.jpg
    iMac-Pro-macduke-med.jpg
    622 KB · Views: 3,066

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Whatever.

It's the specs and the upgradability that matter to 'pros', not whether the bezel is 1 inch or a half inch. After a couple of weeks, the new 'look' of the computer, even if it was interesting to you at first, is irrelevant to 99% of users, it's how it works/performs.

Reactions: Restes

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
Nice work OP!

Depending on the price I'd certainly buy one :)

Whatever.

It's the specs and the upgradability that matter to 'pros', not whether the bezel is 1 inch or a half inch. After a couple of weeks, the new 'look' of the computer, even if it was interesting to you at first, is irrelevant to 99% of users, it's how it works/performs.

If that's the case why not just build yourself an ATX PC (or buy one from a reputable vendor if you need truly pro level support/quick turnaround which even Apple doesn't offer) and be done with it?

Aesthetics may not matter to you, but I guarantee you they matter to a large portion of Apple's customer base, and yes that includes a lot of the people who buy "pro" machines (whether you'd classify them as real "pros" or not).

Reactions: macduke

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
and bumped up the display to 32.5".
i think that's too big tbh.

Whatever.

get the specs you want when you buy it.. then you don't have to upgrade it.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Whatever.

To a certain extent. But we know Apple cares about this. They always sweat the details of the design. For instance, when I was making this, I used the web inspector on their site and the iMac text is set -.024em letter-spacing. I'm a web designer known for being particular about things, and even for me that's a pretty freaking specific and seemingly insignificant change. Anyway, current trend is towards smaller bezels, and I think if they make a bigger iMac, it makes sense to slim the bezels.

Nice work OP!

Depending on the price I'd certainly buy one :)

--

If that's the case why not just build yourself an ATX PC (or buy one from a reputable vendor if you need truly pro level support/quick turnaround which even Apple doesn't offer) and be done with it?

Aesthetics may not matter to you, but I guarantee you they matter to a large portion of Apple's customer base, and yes that includes a lot of the people who buy "pro" machines (whether you'd classify them as real "pros" or not).

Thanks! I was going really fast in PS, so things probably aren't perfectly square and the space gray look could be better. As for your comments towards the other poster, I agree that many pros care to a certain extent because we're also designers and artists and appreciate it. But like I said, only to a certain extent. They obviously took the Mac Pro a bit too far. The function needs to be put first and then develop a beautiful form around that and experiment with different designs and materials until the two fall into harmony.

i think that's too big tbh.

get the specs you want when you buy it.. then you don't have to upgrade it.

Yeah, it may be a bit large, but there are three reasons for this. First of all, Apple typically likes to share display PPI between devices as much as possible. Increasing to 32.5" keeps the same PPI at 6k. Second of all, a larger enclosure means more internal room and thermal heat dissipation for higher end GPUs and the potential use for Intel's upcoming X-series chips that have more cores than the current iMacs do. Lastly, it has been a long time since Apple increased the size of their displays. Many newer 4K and 5K displays on the market are around this size. Furthermore, many people thought the 27" iMac was way too huge when it first came out, and now we're used to it and it seems more normal. There is certainly an upper limit to what you want to use as a day to day monitor for display size because you have to move your neck around too much. And while we're probably getting close, I doubt we're there yet. They might also just call it 32" or 33" depending on exactly what 6K resolution they go with because, for example, their 4K resolution is larger than the standard. But there is precedence with the 21.5" model having an odd decimal, so who knows.

I think if Apple were to go ultra wide (21:9 aspect ratio) it'd be juuuuuuuussssssstttt right (for me) :)

That's actually not a bad idea either and I'd be on board for something like that. It could cut down on weight which might be a small factor with an aluminum and glass machine of this size. I'm really big into multitasking and it would be great to have even wider windows or maybe even three up windows side by side without much compromise. I also wonder if they would ever go with a curved display? Personally I think their gimmicky as every one I've seen in a person's house is incredibly difficult to watch because part of the TV curves away from you and the reflections are awful. The reflections could be awful in this case too depending on how anti-reflective it is, but when you're sitting in front of a display at close distance, having it be curved can be a better experience as every point on the display would be a more equal distance from your eyes. And as for reflections, many pros already have dimly lit workspaces with backlighting to prevent reflections. But I guess it depends on your work.

Reactions: Malus120

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Thats a nice design. But i don't know if they need 6k, 5k its enough not to stress the GPU to have all sort of minor laggy UI

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Thats a nice design. But i don't know if they need 6k, 5k its enough not to stress the GPU to have all sort of minor laggy UI
Yeah but 6K isn't that crazy. Some of the rumors have been talking about 8K for upcoming Macs! These things could potentially run more powerful GPUs with a larger thermal envelope to work with. Nvidia has been adding support for their latest 10-series drivers for Mac, so there could be some interesting products coming down the road.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Yeah but 6K isn't that crazy. Some of the rumors have been talking about 8K for upcoming Macs! These things could potentially run more powerful GPUs with a larger thermal envelope to work with. Nvidia has been adding support for their latest 10-series drivers for Mac, so there could be some interesting products coming down the road.
yea 8k, but i guess in 2019 when already we will have best of Navi chips...if they are coming with 6k in the fall, the best will be some sort of 120W vega chip. But, god, i hope apple will have the best half year (from WWDC in June to December) of the last decade

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Yeah, it may be a bit large, but there are three reasons for this. First of all, Apple typically likes to share display PPI between devices as much as possible. Increasing to 32.5" keeps the same PPI at 6k. Second of all, a larger enclosure means more internal room and thermal heat dissipation for higher end GPUs and the potential use for Intel's upcoming X-series chips that have more cores than the current iMacs do. Lastly, it has been a long time since Apple increased the size of their displays. Many newer 4K and 5K displays on the market are around this size. Furthermore, many people thought the 27" iMac was way too huge when it first came out, and now we're used to it and it seems more normal. There is certainly an upper limit to what you want to use as a day to day monitor for display size because you have to move your neck around too much. And while we're probably getting close, I doubt we're there yet. They might also just call it 32" or 33" depending on exactly what 6K resolution they go with because, for example, their 4K resolution is larger than the standard. But there is precedence with the 21.5" model having an odd decimal, so who knows.

i'm more talking about it being too big for people that use two displays.. my desk is maxed out with 2 @ 27" so when i say 32.5" is too big, i mean it's too big ;) (for me at least)

also, since they did mention they're going to re-enter the stand alone display market, i'd imagine they'd rather sell an imac + new display instead of one giant imac

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
New iMac (added Pro moniker) probably still in 5K, still with AMD GPU and with new small socket 1151 xeon (E3-1285 v6) and using ECC DDR4 SODIMM. New keyboard is also interesting, probably touch ID/touch bar enabled?

I hope they make some changes with better heat dissipation. Current iMac design often throttling down CPU, even with Xeon have lower TDP from their i7 siblings, I'm still not sure, making a thicker a bit is okay to manage some heat generated by CPU/GPU.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
If they do make a pro version, it would be nice to have a pen display to use the Apple Pencil with. I'd prefer an all in one with that capability vs the clunky Cintiq + Mac (mini, Book, Pro, etc) or a Windows Surface Studio

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
If they do make a pro version, it would be nice to have a pen display to use the Apple Pencil with. I'd prefer an all in one with that capability vs the clunky Cintiq + Mac (mini, Book, Pro, etc) or a Windows Surface Studio

The rumour is they are working on using the iPad Pro as a type of Cintiq that can be attached to a Mac along with the Apple Pencil.
[doublepost=1493573335][/doublepost]That render looks nice, I'm not sure Apple will redesign the iMac for the "Pro" tho.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
That is one option that is nice, but having a larger canvas on a more natural feeling angle would be ideal as well as a secondary option.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
That is one option that is nice, but having a larger canvas on a more natural feeling angle would be ideal as well as a secondary option.

Apple won't do a touch screen if that is what you are referring too.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Love the design! Anywhere I can get that wallpaper?
Thanks! https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/img_0316-jpg.690243/
[doublepost=1493650768][/doublepost]
The rumour is they are working on using the iPad Pro as a type of Cintiq that can be attached to a Mac along with the Apple Pencil.
[doublepost=1493573335][/doublepost]That render looks nice, I'm not sure Apple will redesign the iMac for the "Pro" tho.
There was a patent many years ago about an iMac that disengaged when it sensed your hands grabbing the sides and you could lower it down and it would transform the UI to be more touch capable. Not sure if they'll ever release that as they seem pretty adamant about the mouse for the desktop. They've probably tested it quite a bit. They'll likely go the iPad Pro route for using that as a wireless drawing tablet for the Mac. As for the iMac Pro, when those Apple execs met with some journalists recently to talk about the direction of pro hardware, they had alluded to the iMac becoming a professional solution. I don't know if that means it will get a Pro version or not, but at least they're talking about some higher end spec'd models. I don't care what it's called as along as it's a lot faster!

Reactions: yurc

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Looks good!

Not sure about 6K, I expect it will stay at 27" and 5K. Of course I wouldn't complain if I am wrong! :p

But, the chin's time is over. It needs to go. The sheer enormity of the chin and bezels on the current iMac is almost comical when you sit it next to other displays like the LG UltraFine. This design has certainly run its course, being basically unchanged on the front end since 2009!

Please, Jony and Dan, bash your heads together and figure out how to give us an iMac with edge-to-edge glass and modest bezels. Compensate for the lost volume by making the enclosure thicker and/or making the contour from the 5mm edge more aggressive - no-one cares how thin their desktops are!

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Thanks! https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/img_0316-jpg.690243/
[doublepost=1493650768][/doublepost]
There was a patent many years ago about an iMac that disengaged when it sensed your hands grabbing the sides and you could lower it down and it would transform the UI to be more touch capable. Not sure if they'll ever release that as they seem pretty adamant about the mouse for the desktop. They've probably tested it quite a bit. They'll likely go the iPad Pro route for using that as a wireless drawing tablet for the Mac. As for the iMac Pro, when those Apple execs met with some journalists recently to talk about the direction of pro hardware, they had alluded to the iMac becoming a professional solution. I don't know if that means it will get a Pro version or not, but at least they're talking about some higher end spec'd models. I don't care what it's called as along as it's a lot faster!

Yea Craig (the hair man) said in an interview after the announcement of the 2016 MacBook Pros, that they tried and even had working models of touchscreen Mac's years ago but that the user experience isn't good. I think we are much more likely to see the Touch Bar on the iMac Keyboard than we will see a touchscreen Mac.

MichaelDT

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
iMac Pro: The 2011 27" remove optical drive, make 2 standard hard drive bays removable from right side without opening main case, put graphics cards back on mxm cards make accessible for upgrading without opening main case, continue to keep current ram layout accessible without opening main case, include 5k display, update chips. The pcie SSD boot drive could remain in the main case, not frenquently changed. Improve EFI to UEFI compatibility so new graphics cards don't need to be flashed.

That would be an iMac Pro. Many people here want an iMac pro-sumer, which is how Apple got in all this hot water with the pro crowd. Pro is upgradable modular and high performance, not necessarily the most pretty. It can be pretty but not at the expense of functional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.