Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kier-XF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Apologies if this info is already out there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

Is it reasonable to assume that the iMac Pro, which can run two external 5K displays, will support two connected Pro Display HDRs, one for each Thunderbolt 3 bus? Does anyone have any concrete info on this?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Given that the new Mac Pro's stock Radeon Pro 580X will drive two Pro Display XDRs (as per Apple's website), I would assume that any of the more powerful Vega GPUs could at least match that. Not concrete info, but a pretty decent assumption.

https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/

Reactions: Kier-XF

Kier-XF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Certainly looks like reasonable assumptions, thanks.

Detnator

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2011
Apple said in the keynote that the 2019 MacBook Pro, at least, if not older ones, can drive two of these. Safe to say the iMac Pro can.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
The question is if the Vega 56 and 64 can. Since the Vega 20 in the 2019 MacBook Pro can. it's pretty likely.

True, but factors like the iMac Pro not getting HDR playback with Catalina while the 2019 iMac 27

You are making an incorrect assumption. Early reports are that the iMP will.

The Catalina blurb says all released in 2018. It doesn't say that none from 2017 can't.

Last edited:

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
i think you should sell your iMac Pro and get the Mac Pro. Mac Pro makes the iMac Pro product line look awkward now.

Kier-XF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
i think you should sell your iMac Pro and get the Mac Pro. Mac Pro makes the iMac Pro product line look awkward now.
That really makes no sense. The iMac Pro fits a particular niche. The low-end Mac Pro is a nonsense, and the vast majority of iMac Pro users won’t have utility for the super multi-cored Mac Pro models at which point it actually becomes a compelling purchase.

Reactions: mikehalloran

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
That really makes no sense. The iMac Pro fits a particular niche. The low-end Mac Pro is a nonsense, and the vast majority of iMac Pro users won’t have utility for the super multi-cored Mac Pro models at which point it actually becomes a compelling purchase.
Yep.
If you feel that strongly, tell you what: When it comes out, I'll be glad to trade someone straight across for a 16 Core 128GB 2TB Vega Pro Duo with a 5K and two 4K monitors — essentially what I have now plus two more cores.

Don't get me wrong—I like what Apple's doing with the new New Mac Pro and, frankly, I think it's a bargain. It's that I don't believe it (the MP I described) will do anything better than what I have.

If the time comes and I need to upgrade, I expect the budget to include the new machine — which would likely cost $35–$50,000. You see, anything less should be something I can do with what I have now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.