Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

owlinksy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2019
Minnesota
Hello!

I have sold my iMac Pro to a new user and they are now having issues.
They migrated their system from a 2013 Mac Pro running Catalina. I shipped with Mojave, and they didnt update the machine to Catalina before migrating.

Issues:
Ethernet jack doesnt work. but TB3 Ethernet with an adapter does work.
Facetime has been giving them errors.
iMessages is unresponsive.

My main question is, is this something that could have been caused by failing to update to the Catalina before migrating since it was on Mojave? It does prompt you before doing so.

I had everything working perfectly and I am really scratching my head at this point.

Any thoughts?

It is a iMac Pro 10 Core - 128Gb RAM - Vega 56 8gb - Mojave 10.14.6

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Sounds like a driver issue. The ethernet hardware in the iMac Pro is significantly different from the 2013 MacPro.
The new owner could boot to the recovery system, and reinstall Catalina. That reinstall may fix the should issues, should those exist, and may get everything else working, too. (The reinstall is just a reload of the macOS system, and should not affect the files and apps that the owner has migrated over from another system.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

owlinksy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2019
Minnesota
That was my intuition as well, since the iMac is 10GBit and should be very different. I had suggested this to the user, but wanted to get some outside input, thank you for your response !

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.