Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
2017 iMP - running fine today and then a couple of minutes after the screensaver kicked in it made a brief static crack noise from the speakers and went dark.

Tried the obvious with the power and buttons but no response, visually or audibly. When hooked-up to a power monitor I can see that the machine responds to the power button but only gets to around 12 watts. The machine can be commanded to fully off again. No power at the USBs at any point or LAN activity.

Anything I have missed or potential ideas to try?

Yeah, I do have that sickening feeling of loss. My first Apple failure!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bummers :(
Given you heard some electrical failure (static cracking) and the fact its a sealed mac. Your only option AFAIK, is to call apple and have them look at it.

Do you have Apple Care?

Reactions: ruslan120

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks Mike. I have a few more months of cover but getting to an ASP or an Apple store is an event in itself. I've got an incident number and Apple have forwarded my details to the nearest ASP.

It happened whilst my wife was using the machine so she is feeling gutted for no reason that makes sense. Dipping into Time Machine for her current project was no drama, so no real issues aside from the inconvenience whilst living in the sticks. Other work where the iMP earns its keep will have to wait or be pushed slowly through MBPs.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
If under warranty, have apple send you a shipping box and a label. Send in for service. Even if you had a store close by, its doubtful they would fix while you wait.

Reactions: Clockworkz

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Even if you had a store close by, its doubtful they would fix while you wait.
Because of serious safety concerns regarding the exposed power supply, Apple techs require certification for the iMac Pro. This means not a whole lot of service centers have techs.

If you're lucky, Apple has a refurb or new available in the same configuration and that will get shipped to you ASAP in exchange. If yours is the base model, that is very likely.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Because of serious safety concerns regarding the exposed power supply, Apple techs require certification for the iMac Pro. This means not a whole lot of service centers have techs.

If you're lucky, Apple has a refurb or new available in the same configuration and that will get shipped to you ASAP in exchange. If yours is the base model, that is very likely.

The power supply is no more or less exposed than a normal imac. That is not the training/service issue. Is the lack of trained individuals still a factor? Especially if mailing it in?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Thanks Mike. I have a few more months of cover but getting to an ASP or an Apple store is an event in itself."

Then you'd better start preparing for that "event".
Because they're the folks you should put your trust in to repair it (without mucking up the repair job itself).

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Looks like I will be taking it in this weekend. Hopefully I will not be without it for too long - it is a base spec machine so hopefully no major drama if it needs replacing.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
You couldn't be more wrong if you were more wrong.

Watch some of the videos on component replacement on the iMac Pro and then watch the same on a 2017 iMac.

Since you shouldn’t be replacing any components in an iMac or an iMac Pro, my statement is correct.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Since you shouldn’t be replacing any components in an iMac or an iMac Pro, my statement is correct.
I was clearly referring to this — as I quoted in my original reply
The power supply is no more or less exposed than a normal imac.
which is absolutely, completely, 100% wrong no matter how often or which way you say otherwise.

If you are going to argue, facts are nice.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
OK, point me to information that indicates an iMac Pro power supply is more exposed/dangerous than a regular iMac.

The power supply is dangerous, period. You should not be inside the unit unless you know what you are doing. As far as I have found the power supply danger is the same regardless of model.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
OK, point me to information that indicates an iMac Pro power supply is more exposed/dangerous than a regular iMac.

The power supply is dangerous, period. You should not be inside the unit unless you know what you are doing. As far as I have found the power supply danger is the same regardless of model.
I've already told you how to find it. Do your own research—you'll learn more.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Genius Bar appointment is this afternoon. The AASP was closer but on discussion it turned out that they would have forwarded it to the Apple repair centre in Exeter, with a minimum turn-around of 8 business days. The Genius Bar should be quicker but still a faff.

RonnieBarlow

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
I had EXACTLY the same problem with my very highly specced iMac Pro. I had the same crackle as you and the machine would just not boot afterwards.

The genius guys replaced the PSU, and then found out that it still didn't work. They then agreed to replace the main logic board and voila - everything has worked for months now.

All in all it took about 8 business days to fix and according the guy who fixed it - it cost apple about 1k in parts.

Glad I had the extra AppleCare to cover me.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I had EXACTLY the same problem...

The genius guys replaced the PSU, and then found out that it still didn't work. They then agreed to replace the main logic board and voila - everything has worked for months now.

They must have read your post as mine is back this afternoon with new logic board and PSU at first attempt. Took 4 business days in toto.

Not a cheap repair either:

Screenshot 2019-08-09 at 14.11.32.png

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Thats crazy stupid pricing for an original owner.

Thumbs down to Apple!

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Warranty covers it but yes, the price is rather high. One odd thing is the CPU - it is socketed but the logic board comes with one fitted and they get to keep the original even with a cash repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.