Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jupiter-8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2019
California
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

How does the Vega 64X impact fan noise in the 8-Core or 10-Core iMac Pro?

I’d love to hear from anyone using this config, especially for music production and design related work.

A bit of background…

After weeks of research, I'm about to pull the trigger on a high spec 10-Core iMac Pro with 128GB ram and a 4TB SSD. I'll be using the Mac professionally in my home studio for a 50/50 split between audio production and digital design.

Historically I’ve always purchased the highest end configuration, but I’m tired of the jet engine-like fan noise coming from my older 2017 max config iMac. For me, this years upgrade is about finding the perfect balance between power and noise levels.

From what I’ve read, the 10-Core iMac Pro seems to be pretty quiet under load. Most of the reviews and articles feature either the Vega 56 or Vega 64. This is great, but it’s hard to find any experiences using the 10-Core with the newer 2019 Vega 64X - and how the 64X affects fan noise.

As someone who tends to go all-in with their purchases, I find it hard to select a lower spec graphics card in a high end machine - even though I know it’ll probably keep temps lower and the fan noise down. With this in mind, I may opt for the lowest end internal card - which seems to be what most audio professionals tend to do - and then buy an external eGPU with a high end Radeon card for when I need the additional oomph in graphics applications. My thinking here is that the low spec card will keep things cooler and quieter in the machine for day to day audio production. I can then plug in and suffer the additional fan noise from an eGPU when needed for those type of applications.

If the Vega 64X doesn’t really impact much and generally keeps the fan noise low in audio apps then I’ll probably spec it and avoid the external eGPU.

Would love your thoughts.

Thanks!

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Hi Jupiter,

Attached you will find an interesting read regarding this topic.

It's a bare-bone site, but its information was always a treasure trove for me when it comes to benchmarks. Maybe you will find it helpful. It has much valuable content to offer. Also this one here on the power of the iMac Pro.

watch

I think you are spot on, the iMac Pro is a fantastic choice. I don't have one but I will upgrade one day.

Jupiter-8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2019
California
Thanks Alex.

I've been a fan of Rob-ART's site for over a decade and even donated to his 75th birthday 2019 Mac Pro fund as his benchmarks have been invaluable for me throughout the years - like you mentioned.

I know that the Vega 64 is a little faster than the Vega 56, but what's always missing from these benchmark graphs and observations is the experience of fan noise levels.

I'm just hoping someone who has either an 8-Core or 10-Core iMac Pro with a Vega 64X and can comment on their general experience with fan noise.

Thanks!

vir2l2k

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2019
vega 64x is 10% faster than vega, there will be hardly any fan noise. but for the amount of money u spend on meaningless ram and ssd prices u would be better off with mac pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.