Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rub-ISH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Hey Guys,

I have been very happy with my iMac Pro (10 Core, 64gb ram, 1tb) for about a full week now. Today I decided to network it with a switch in my home to get better hardline speeds.

I have a Tp-Link SG105 5 port switch that is about as simple of a device you can get.

connected to it is a PS4 pro, as well as an Apple tv (4k)...and the iMac Pro! Both the PS4 and the Apple Tv work as intended...Getting great download and upload speed.

The iMac pro however refuses to communicate. I made 4 different Cat6 cables and they all test clean. The only thing I get from the switch is a flashing green light at about a 1.5 second interval. The iMac doesn't recognize the ethernet port when plug into the switch (ethernet not connected, in the network panel). It does connect when I run the main line directly to the port.

Are there specific protocols that a switch needs to support for the iMac Pro??

thought it was strange as the other two devices connected function properly

What am I missing here?

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
Might want to go to the network settings on the iMP and change it from Automatic to 1Gb. They may not be negotiating the right speed.

Rub-ISH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Might want to go to the network settings on the iMP and change it from Automatic to 1Gb. They may not be negotiating the right speed.

So I just tried this with mixed results...

It will not connect to any setting besides 100baseTX... Go up to 1000base TX and it sees nothing...

I wonder if this thing needs a more modern switch? It shouldn't...I'm confused

Thank you for the suggestion...it does at least prove they can communicate

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
I have to say my experience with TP-Link has been hit and miss. I'm guessing you have tried moving everything around on the ports. I don't think that switch has any Vlan or blocking options that might mend things up.

Rub-ISH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
I have to say my experience with TP-Link has been hit and miss. I'm guessing you have tried moving everything around on the ports. I don't think that switch has any Vlan or blocking options that might mend things up.

Yeah I have bounced things around... its pretty much the same regardless.

I called applecare just to find out if there was an approved/suggested switch and they were baffled with the issue, and equally useless!

Not really sure but I guess its time to find a 10gb compatible switch?

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
Yeah I have bounced things around... its pretty much the same regardless.

I called applecare just to find out if there was an approved/suggested switch and they were baffled with the issue, and equally useless!

Not really sure but I guess its time to find a 10gb compatible switch?

I have just replaced my 2 24port switches at the office with new PoE smart switches from Intellinet and I am very impressed with them. Also bought an 8 port for my boss's house. They are priced very well and seem to be good quality. My LAN speeds went up dramatically compared to the Netgear ProSafe they replaced.

There's tone of cross labelling of network gear so who knows who makes what. I have had several products from TP-Link and Luxul (just one example) that were identical save the sticker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.