Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Will we ever get another iMac Pro?
What for?

10 core, 32GB, 1TB iMac Pro was $5000
12 core, 32GB, 1TB M2 Max Mac Studio is $2400, plus Studio Display = $4000

Top end iMac Pro (18 core) + 64GB = $7000
Top end Studio Ultra (24 core) + Studio Display = $6600

...you can debate whether the CPU and GPU capabilities are comparable (even allowing for 5 years of progress) but that's kinda irrelevant since any hypothetical "new iMac Pro" will be based on the same Apple Silicon as the rest of the current range.

All that has been "lost" is the bargain entry-level 5k iMacs for $1800-$2000 - and Apple outright said yesterday that the 24" iMac was the replacement for those. They were probably unsustainable price-wise after 5k panels failed to take off in the mass PC market. Above that, the way forward is Mini or Studio + Studio Display (or a whole host of cheaper 3rd party display options), with the Mac Studio + Display combos pretty much in the same price bracket as the old i9 iMacs (esp. if you use Apple RAM prices - the third party option is never going to happen with Apple Silicon).

...and then, 3-4 years down the line when the CPU is outdated but the display is still perfectly good, you'll be thankful that you weren't forced to buy an all-in-one...

Anyway, if Apple did an iMac Pro, what display would they put in it? 27" 5k? (might be remotely affordable) 32" 6k? (add at least a kilobuck to the starting price, more for a XDR-quality panel with full-matrix local dimming)... Much more sensible to have a choice of computers + choice of displays. Plus, Apple can sell the standalone displays to MacBook Pro users as well...

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
An iMac Pro will likely be released 12-18 months from now. The question is - are you ready to pay the price for it?

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012
Been using an iMac Pro with 2x LG displays since 2018, absolutely love this computer and am due to update. Would like to have another iMac but the current offerings just don't do it for me. Will hold off for now to see what the updated Mini and Studio bring.

I'd be willing to consider an iMac Pro style in the current form factor (though I prefer 27"/5k) with the following:
  • M3 Pro/Max processor
  • Support for 2 external displays (a consequence of the upgraded processors)
  • Native 10g ethernet (no dongles)
  • ECC RAM (nice to have)
  • Space gray color and/or black bezel
  • Matching external displays (same size/resolution, iMac design language, no chin, black bezel)
If Apple is pushing this form factor as the "successor" its a non-starter without the above changes, IMO. Given its an iMac, the aesthetics matter somewhat and I personally wouldn't be happy upgrading just to end up with a mismatched setup out of the box. The bump in processing power also matters for longevity since I would assume most iMac buyers will hold onto them for longer than usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobcomer

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Been using an iMac Pro with 2x LG displays since 2018, absolutely love this computer and am due to update. Would like to have another iMac but the current offerings just don't do it for me. Will hold off for now to see what the updated Mini and Studio bring.

I'd be willing to consider an iMac Pro style in the current form factor (though I prefer 27"/5k) with the following:
  • M3 Pro/Max processor
  • Support for 2 external displays (a consequence of the upgraded processors)
  • Native 10g ethernet (no dongles)
  • Space gray color and/or black bezel
  • Matching external displays (same size/resolution, iMac design language, no chin, black bezel)
If Apple is pushing this form factor as the "successor" its a non-starter without the above changes, IMO. Given its an iMac, the aesthetics matter somewhat and I personally wouldn't be happy upgrading just to end up with a mismatched setup out of the box. The bump in processing power also matters for longevity since I would assume most iMac buyers will hold onto them for longer than usual.

Apple already sells this computer - it is called a Mac mini or Mac Studio with a Studio Display in the middle of your two LG displays...

If you are already running a three monitor setup (with the required wires, footprint, etc), there is zero advantage of either a past or future iMac versus one of Apple's current desktop options

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012
Apple already sells this computer - it is called a Mac mini or Mac Studio with a Studio Display in the middle of your two LG displays...

If you are already running a three monitor setup (with the required wires, footprint, etc), there is zero advantage of either a past or future iMac versus one of Apple's current desktop options
Ironically my setup was one of the official Apple press images for the iMac Pro:

S9_Smart_1.png

Of course its my opinion but it just fit my workflow perfectly. 6 cables in total - 3 power, 2 USB-C and 1 Ethernet. Plenty of computing power, reliable, almost always silent. The webcam, mic(s) and speakers are good enough. It fits my workspace.

A Mac Studio would work but I really don't like the Studio Display so my only other option would be the XDR display which is way overkill for the work I do. Waiting to see an M3 Mini in the spring at the moment.

Last edited:

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
What for?

10 core, 32GB, 1TB iMac Pro was $5000
12 core, 32GB, 1TB M2 Max Mac Studio is $2400, plus Studio Display = $4000

Top end iMac Pro (18 core) + 64GB = $7000
Top end Studio Ultra (24 core) + Studio Display = $6600

...you can debate whether the CPU and GPU capabilities are comparable (even allowing for 5 years of progress) but that's kinda irrelevant since any hypothetical "new iMac Pro" will be based on the same Apple Silicon as the rest of the current range.

All that has been "lost" is the bargain entry-level 5k iMacs for $1800-$2000 - and Apple outright said yesterday that the 24" iMac was the replacement for those. They were probably unsustainable price-wise after 5k panels failed to take off in the mass PC market. Above that, the way forward is Mini or Studio + Studio Display (or a whole host of cheaper 3rd party display options), with the Mac Studio + Display combos pretty much in the same price bracket as the old i9 iMacs (esp. if you use Apple RAM prices - the third party option is never going to happen with Apple Silicon).

...and then, 3-4 years down the line when the CPU is outdated but the display is still perfectly good, you'll be thankful that you weren't forced to buy an all-in-one...

Anyway, if Apple did an iMac Pro, what display would they put in it? 27" 5k? (might be remotely affordable) 32" 6k? (add at least a kilobuck to the starting price, more for a XDR-quality panel with full-matrix local dimming)... Much more sensible to have a choice of computers + choice of displays. Plus, Apple can sell the standalone displays to MacBook Pro users as well...
I'll offer that at no time in my computer purchasing history did I find myself, er, un-"thankful" for any of my AIO computer purchases, be they iMacs, MBP/Powerbooks, iPhones or iPads. Each purchase has been made with the full knowledge that, when it is deemed that the unit will be in need of replacement it will be replaced. Never once have I suffered from any buyers remorse for the purchase of any of these devices because they could not be upgraded.

IME, there is a form of "coterie-think"/"camp-think" that often occurs (generally speaking) on internet forums where sometimes folks adopt firmly entrenched notions that their POV/position is the, um, correct-or-most-logical. As a forum participant across a spectrum of personal interests (read: not just Apple products) I gladly read all perspectives.

Making personal purchasing decisions are, well, personal, and the idea that anyone is being (or ever has been), "forced to buy an all-in-one", well, made me chuckle. That folks want or desire stand-alone components (and not AIO's) for their setups, I'm thrilled that Apple has products for their needs and desires, too!

That Apple had announced (what I have been hoping for) a >27" XDR M3 iMac (or iMac Pro) at this past-week's event I'd have already been in line for it's purchase. And it would have replaced my 2019 i9 27" iMac, which replaced my 2011 i7 27" iMac, which replaced my 2004 G5 20" iMac, which replaced my 1995 15" Performa 6300CD (not an AIO).

Just thought I'd stop by this thread to report, no regrets, no forced coercion from Apple for the past 28 years! LOL :)

Last edited:

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I highly doubt that there will be any iMac Pro again.

The Mac Studio with the Studio Display replaced that, as most people say.
Why would the iMac 24" only have base M models, if that was not the case?
And I believe Apple made the right choice. The ability to keep whatever monitor you have chosen, and buy a new Mac Studio some time in the future, is the better option 👍

That is why some of us rebuild the iMacs as DIY 5k monitors, when the hardware fails, or no longer fulfill our needs. But we still wish to keep the magnificent screens.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I'll offer that at no time in my computer purchasing history did I find myself, er, un-"thankful" for any of my AIO computer purchases, be they iMacs, MBP/Powerbooks, iPhones or iPads.
Three out of four of those have a good reason for only being available as AIO. I don't want to have to re-assemble the components of my phone, tablet or laptop every time I take it out of my bag/pocket and find that I've left a vital cable on the train.

Making personal purchasing decisions are, well, personal, and the idea that anyone is being (or ever has been), "forced to buy an all-in-one", well, made me chuckle. That folks want or desire stand-alone components (and not AIO's) for their setups, I'm thrilled that Apple has products for their needs and desires, too!
By all means add the qualifier "forced to buy an all-in-one if you wanted a non-obsolescent desktop Mac" but the reality is, in mid 2017 when I last bought an iMac there was no other viable, up-to-date desktop Mac available. The situation is much better now, but seems to have come at the expense of the larger all-in-one option.

Now, it would be nice if Apple offered both. I don't want to deny anybody a large-screen all-in-one if that's really what they want. Problem is Apple don't seem to want to offer a large-screen all-in-one - which probably means that Apple (who have the sales figures and market research) don't think that offering both is financially viable for them.

Its unfortunate that we don't have the "bargain" of a 5k 27" iMac for under $2000 any more - but that's likely because 5k/220ppi has failed to take off in the PC world and has become an expensive niche that only interests Mac users. If a 5k or better iMac does appear, prepare to pay.

(NB: Edited after posting to make it a bit less argumentative).

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyG

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Gurman has been pretty accurate recently, and he (and others) say a large (30+) iMac is in development. Given they replaced the 21" with the 24", replacing a 27" with a 30" makes a whole lot of sense.

The challenge is screen technology and pricing. I would imagine Apple would want to make a 30" screen superior to the Apple Studio display in screen technology. And given that, a Pro version chip, at a minimum, would be required. Finally, Apple is committed to the Apple Studio Mac - It would seem to me that an iMac 30"+ would have to be at least the same price as an Apple Studio / Mac mini + an Apple Studio Display (apple will give you its Magic Keyboard and trackpad for free!).

An M2 Pro Mac mini + Apple Studio Display costs $2,800. Given this new iMac is going to be 30"+, likely with improved screen tech over the ASD, $3,000 at a minimum seems fair. More likely, I am thinking of $3,500 to $4,000 as a starting price.

Such a product would not really cannibalize any of the current Macs (including the 24" iMac), and would also satisfy everyone on this forum who wants a larger iMac.

Reactions: kwijbo

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
Three out of four of those have a good reason for only being available as AIO. I don't want to have to re-assemble the components of my phone, tablet or laptop every time I take it out of my bag/pocket and find that I've left a vital cable on the train.

By all means add the qualifier "forced to buy an all-in-one if you wanted a non-obsolescent desktop Mac" but the reality is, in mid 2017 when I last bought an iMac there was no other viable, up-to-date desktop Mac available. The situation is much better now, but seems to have come at the expense of the larger all-in-one option.

Now, it would be nice if Apple offered both. I don't want to deny anybody a large-screen all-in-one if that's really what they want. Problem is Apple don't seem to want to offer a large-screen all-in-one - which probably means that Apple (who have the sales figures and market research) don't think that offering both is financially viable for them.

Its unfortunate that we don't have the "bargain" of a 5k 27" iMac for under $2000 any more - but that's likely because 5k/220ppi has failed to take off in the PC world and has become an expensive niche that only interests Mac users. If a 5k or better iMac does appear, prepare to pay.

(NB: Edited after posting to make it a bit less argumentative).
"Horses for courses" and "products to suit any user's needs", I'm all about win-win. :)

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Will we ever get another iMac Pro?

Apple Studio Display + Mac Studio = iMac Pro.

And it is cheaper too, since the iMac Pro started at $5000.

And considering inflation, the iMac Pro was actually $6000 just for the base config in 2023.

Reactions: Chuckeee

pguerezta

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2023
ARGENTINA
Apple Studio Display + Mac Studio = iMac Pro.

And it is cheaper too, since the iMac Pro started at $5000.

And considering inflation, the iMac Pro was actually $6000 just for the base config in 2023.
t´s a shame that we will never see again and iMac Pro.

I think it will be cheap than $5000. that's why they didn't want and iMac Pro.

a MacBook Pro is $2500 and a display studio $1500. so they make the Mac mini pro and the apple studio so they can charge you aditional 2000 dollars with monitor and periferics. it's really a shame. and iMac Pro in $4000 it´s an Mac studio killer, also an apple display killer.
even a iMac with 16gb of ram and m3 pro will be the most selling desktop computer. they know that.

Steve Jobs returns to the glory with the iMac. it's a product that's deserve respect.
I love my 2015 iMac. it was beautiful and power with just one cable. it´s all apple represent.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.