Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dualburn001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2002
I understand that the new imac has 2 slots for ram but are both of them accesibile or only the 144 pin one? Because I want to buy an imac from macmall and jsust get 256 mb of ram free but in the future iI would want to upgrade to 1gb of ram so i was wondering if both slots are accesible. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dualburn001

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
iMac RAM slots

From what I have read, only one slot is user accessible. If you want to change the RAM in the other slot you must take it to an "authorized" service provider. If you want a gig of RAM in the future you will either have to BTO with one 512MB stick from Apple or pay someone to change out the upper slot later.

fuzzy7slippers

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2002
both ram slots on the new imac are reachable. One is located near the slot for the airport card, underneath the removable plate. To get to the other slot you will have to remove the torx screws and open the bottom of the computer. It opens up like a door hinged on one side. However when you put the bottom of the computer back together you will need thermal paste to apply to a small metal area (near the hinges) before closing the imac, be sure to clean area before application. Then you will need a torx wrench to close and tighten the bottom housing, and you will be good to go and change the ram in both slots.

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
Originally posted by fuzzy7slippers
both ram slots on the new imac are reachable. One is located near the slot for the airport card, underneath the removable plate. To get to the other slot you will have to remove the torx screws and open the bottom of the computer. It opens up like a door hinged on one side. However when you put the bottom of the computer back together you will need thermal paste to apply to a small metal area (near the hinges) before closing the imac, be sure to clean area before application. Then you will need a torx wrench to close and tighten the bottom housing, and you will be good to go and change the ram in both slots.

Doesn't doing this yourself void the warranty?

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
actually, the new imacs (and the previous version i believe (except the early rev.)) have both ram slots available from the back, but one is filled up. You can just pull the OEM chip and install two 512 if you want.

-Pete

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
pt: wrong.

spinner: yup

fuzzy: true but this is hardly easy compared to normal ram installations. few people have torx screw drivers and buying and applying thermal paste is a pain. in addition you void the warranty as spinner mentioned. basiclly this is a bad idea for anyone but the experienced user and since this guy is asking i doubt he is experienced. maybe you could do this and i could do this but most people wouldnt want to.

spinner's plan is the best. use a bto to get a 512mb in the unaccessible slot or just accept that you will have to pay someone later to do something as simple as install ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.