Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrsnH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Experiencing intermittent shutdowns/power loss with a late 2015 5K iMac (i5 3.2ghz/M390/flash storage)

Haven't been doing anything GPU or CPU intense, it's happened at random times, and even when it's sat at the login screen. It won't turn back on immediately, had to pull the power cable a couple of times and plug it back in to get it to power on. I've reset the SMC, checked and reseated the RAM, checked the power cable for damage, even used a different power outlet.

Luckily it's covered with AppleCare (had the screen and logic board replaced in October 2017). From what I've read it's likely to be the PSU so just want to be sure there isn't anything else I can check before I lug it to the Apple Store?

Last edited:

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
Try using a different/newer surge protector (or try using a surge protector or UPS if you haven't been). That would probably be more effective at eliminating home/office electrical issues than just switching outlets and would also test against a power strip going bad. Not turning back on immediately doesn't sound good though.

Since unplugging is step one for SMC resets there is a chance it could be SMC/logic board related instead of PSU related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.