Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gldngal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
I’d be grateful if I could get advice on what iMac I should purchase to replace my current one.

This is what I am currently using:

macOS Mojave version 10.14.6
iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch)
Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

I’ve been very happy with it. It’s just now, MacUpdater won’t update, and other applications aren’t working properly. I see a lot of the spinning beach ball...

I mainly use my iMac for graphic design and website design, but also for email, browsing the internet, etc.

I would still like the monitor to be 27-inch. I definitely need more memory than 8 GB. I don’t need brand new, refurbished is fine. I'd rather get one that I don't need to replace in a couple of years. I've had my current Mac for 9 years. My budget is around $2,500.00

Any thoughts on which iMac would be a good replacement?

Thank you.

Addendum

I should have mentioned this before, to help explain my situation. My late husband was a Mac guru and took care of all my Mac computer stuff. He was going to get me a new Mac this past summer, but he passed away in June. That's why I've been thinking I needed a new computer. He did add an external hard drive to my computer, so I'd have more memory and I've been using it.

This is going back several years, but my husband didn't want to upgrade my operating system to Catalina, because he said there were issues with it. Also, applications like Adobe Creative Suites CS6 I use every day, wouldn't work on an upgrade. At the time, I didn't want to use the Adobe Cloud. Then my husband became seriously ill and I didn't think about my Mac, since it worked fine until now.

Last edited:

gldngal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
Looks like you've got a late 2015 imac, which can run MacOS 12. You should update your macos software and see where that gets you before buying a new machine, in my opinion
Yes, that's correct I have a late 2015 iMac. I would love to keep this iMac, but I'm concerned my system will crash if I try to update now.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That 2015 iMac is the last 27-inch with a basic spinning hard drive as standard. That, or a failing fusion drive can certainly be the cause for those beachballs.
It is still a good iMac, and the drive can be replaced. SSDs are much cheaper now, but it's a repair that I would not suggest unless you have some previous experience with that kind of repair.
If you just want to replace with something else, Apple does not sell a new 27-inch iMac since March of 2022 , but may be available as an Apple-refurbished.
You might consider another option, which could be a new Mac mini, with a 27-inch display of your choice

Reactions: gldngal

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I’d be grateful if I could get advice on what iMac I should purchase to replace my current one.

I’ve been very happy with it. It’s just now, MacUpdater won’t update, and other applications aren’t working properly. I see a lot of the spinning beach ball...

I mainly use my iMac for graphic design and website design, but also for email, browsing the internet, etc.

I would still like the monitor to be 27-inch. I definitely need more memory than 8 GB. I don’t need brand new, refurbished is fine. I'd rather get one that I don't need to replace in a couple of years. I've had my current Mac for 9 years. My budget is around $2,500.00

Thank you.
I'd back up that drive if you haven't already. Like now. If you already have a backup, then you could choose to run your iMac off an external SSD. That would improve speeds dramatically. The whole beachball sudden slowdown situation is a common indicator of the internal Fusion Drive, if you have one, failing. As far as getting a new machine, if you really need one, probably the most cost effective way would be to get a Mac mini pro and an external display. You could also do a new iMac, but I think going from your 27 inch down to the m3 iMac would feel like a downgrade, even if it was faster.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP asks:
"Any thoughts on which iMac would be a good replacement?"

There aren't any.

You read that right.
Unless you'd be satisfied with the 24" model.
But they don't impress me.

Your options, as I see them:
Get either an m2pro Mini, or a Mac Studio.

These can be found as Apple-refurbished units at the online Apple Store, BUT, they come in and sell out quickly, so you have to
- know what you're looking for
- check often (2-3 times daily)
- be READY TO BUY when you see one that interests you.

WARNING WARNING
DO NOT buy ANY m-series Mac with only 8gb of RAM.
You will soon regret it if you do.
Especially if you want a replacement to last 5-7 years.
Consider reading this as having been duly warned!

For an m2pro Mini, get
16gb of RAM
512gb SSD (1tb SSD would be better)

For the Mac Studio, even the "base" m2x model is well-equipped with 32gb of RAM and a 512gb SSD (again, 1tb is better).

The Studio costs more, but will have a little more "longevity" built in.

For a display, I'd suggest a 3rd-party 27" 4k display.
Numerous choices available.

The Apple Studio display is nice, but EXPENSIVE (although I think [either] BestBuy or amazon is now selling it for 1,300). Not worth it, in my opinion. And probably beyond your budget.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
That 2015 iMac is the last 27-inch with a basic spinning hard drive as standard. That, or a failing fusion drive can certainly be the cause for those beachballs.
It is still a good iMac, and the drive can be replaced. SSDs are much cheaper now, but it's a repair that I would not suggest unless you have some previous experience with that kind of repair...

Instead of replacing the internal hard drive, he could just boot from an external SSD. Very simple to do, relatively inexpensive and an effective way to extend the life of an aging iMac

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Thank you.

A cheap solution:
1 external SSD drive of your choice (prebuild or DIY, SATA or nVME, anything will do, up to your budget)
4 stick of DDR3 RAM, 8GB x4 = 32GB.

Now you can install newer Mac OS version than Mojave onto the external SSD drive and use your iMac at much smoother user experience.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
As other posters have noted, you can improve your current machine. But it will take some knowledge of how to install macOS on an external SSD, etc. Using an external SSD as a boot device is not hard but may be intimidating if you've not done it before. Same with RAM upgrades.

If you do so you may find your 2015 machine all you need.

Otherwise, just buy the current iMac (but it's a 24" display, not 27").

YoitsTmac

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
If you want to maximize your budget, I would get an entry level M2 Max Studio. It’ll blow away anything you’ve been working with and we don’t need to chase specs. They currently don’t have one in the refurbished store, or else I’d recommend that. Alternatively, the M3 studio is likely around the corner.

This monitor is highly reviewed for media creation by RTINGS: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2722QC-Response-Integrated-Speakers/dp/B09DTDRJWP

People are now going to talk about 5k monitors vs 4K monitors. There is some merit to it. However, I have been editing photos and videos on 4K monitors forever at a professional level and it has never bothered me. Best of luck OP.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
Booting to an external SSD kept our 2014 iMac alive and running much faster when the original HDD portion of the Fusion drive died. The other advantage is you can try a new version of Mac OS, or buy two external SSDs and make them both bootable, one with your current version (just backup your current drive to it), and the other with any newer version you'd like to try out.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I was using a 2015 5K for graphic work in a print environment about a year and a half ago still. Was a solid computer, it was maxed out when I bought it brand new. I did opt for the flash drive when I bought it which extended its life significantly. I still have the computer at home but really don't do much with it as I have an M1 Max and a 5K 27" screen at work.

The one thing you have suffered with needlessly is the RAM. The 27" iMacs have user upgradeable RAM. It is a little slot by the power port in the back of the computer. Super easy to add ram, takes less than 5 minutes, no screws. If it had a flash drive I would say up the RAM and keep it going, unless you can't live without being on the latest version of Mac OS.

Upgrading to an M series Mac is a big jump in performance on the CPU side alone, add that you will have a computer with a flash/SSD drive you will be amazed at how quickly boot ups are and how quickly things load. I have been spoiled with it since the 5K was originally released and can't understand how anyone has been using regular hard drives since that time.

You could get a refurbed Mac Studio:

and a Samsung Viewfinity 27" 5K screen

If you have money left over you could up the hard drive to 1TB. With that setup though externals are cheap.

Or you could go with a MacBook Pro and the Samsung screen, get portability as well as a nice big screen for working at the office/home.

I use an M1 Max and plug into my Viewfinity screen at work. It is a great setup and I get a powerful portable computer at the same time.

Last edited:

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
I bought a $100 2011 iMac just a few months ago. 27" and fully loaded, and came with a 23" cinema. You can buy used iMacs so cheap that it doesn't matter if they only last a few years. Maybe in a few years there will be something more compelling from Apple, and you'll have extra $$ from getting such a good deal on eBay!

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I’ve just come from a 2014 iMac and replaced it with a Mac Studio and studio display which I love BUT there is something about the iMac that I miss.

If could do it again I would buy a specced up m3 iMac. Yeah the screen is smaller but you’ll get use to it after a day or so.

YoitsTmac

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
I’ve just come from a 2014 iMac and replaced it with a Mac Studio and studio display which I love BUT there is something about the iMac that I miss.

If could do it again I would buy a specced up m3 iMac. Yeah the screen is smaller but you’ll get use to it after a day or so.
What is the thing you miss about the iMac? Something unrelated to pure function?

I bought a $100 2011 iMac just a few months ago. 27" and fully loaded, and came with a 23" cinema. You can buy used iMacs so cheap that it doesn't matter if they only last a few years. Maybe in a few years there will be something more compelling from Apple, and you'll have extra $$ from getting such a good deal on eBay!

I mean OP spent 9 years with this computer and does graphic design. Considering his budget,!8 suspect he’s looking for his next 9 year computer.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
What is the thing you miss about the iMac? Something unrelated to pure function?
Yes just the all in one design. I’m not a massive fan of a secondary device I.e the studio on the desk. Also I don’t like how there is a delay with the monitor to kick in so I don’t see the full computer boot up.

But that’s just me being very picky. 😂

Skyblazer

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2023
I have late 2014 iMac 27. After going from Catalina to Big Sur it got a little glitchy. I replaced the 16GB ram with 32 GB ram. Made a huge difference. Only cost about $30 on amazon and even a clutz like me could install the new ram. I holding off to get an M3 Mac Studio and Studio Display, which I hope happens by June 2024. Another option might be a used later year iMac 27 from ebay or amazon. If you don't already have at least 16GB ram, I have my two former 8GB cards from the 2014 iMac, which you are welcome to for free.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I know this is going to sound silly, but that's what I've been reading on various online Mac website blogs and magazines.
I mean, it’s not really silly. If you have a spinning hard drive on its last legs, then doing an update is a lot of sustained read/write/seek activity, which could plausibly be the end of that drive. That’s why I’m suggesting you do nothing else before you back up your drive, so if it does crash you haven’t lost your data. Once you’ve successfully backed up, you have any number of options, from getting an external
Ssd, to opening the machine and putting an internal ssd in, to buying any new machine, to get you back up and running.

gldngal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
Instead of replacing the internal hard drive, he could just boot from an external SSD. Very simple to do, relatively inexpensive and an effective way to extend the life of an aging iMa
OP asks:
"Any thoughts on which iMac would be a good replacement?"

There aren't any.

You read that right.
Unless you'd be satisfied with the 24" model.
But they don't impress me.

Your options, as I see them:
Get either an m2pro Mini, or a Mac Studio.

These can be found as Apple-refurbished units at the online Apple Store, BUT, they come in and sell out quickly, so you have to
- know what you're looking for
- check often (2-3 times daily)
- be READY TO BUY when you see one that interests you.

WARNING WARNING
DO NOT buy ANY m-series Mac with only 8gb of RAM.
You will soon regret it if you do.
Especially if you want a replacement to last 5-7 years.
Consider reading this as having been duly warned!

For an m2pro Mini, get
16gb of RAM
512gb SSD (1tb SSD would be better)

For the Mac Studio, even the "base" m2x model is well-equipped with 32gb of RAM and a 512gb SSD (again, 1tb is better).

The Studio costs more, but will have a little more "longevity" built in.

For a display, I'd suggest a 3rd-party 27" 4k display.
Numerous choices available.

The Apple Studio display is nice, but EXPENSIVE (although I think [either] BestBuy or amazon is now selling it for 1,300). Not worth it, in my opinion. And probably beyond your budget.
Ugh...Thank you for the advice.

gldngal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
Instead of replacing the internal hard drive, he could just boot from an external SSD. Very simple to do, relatively inexpensive and an effective way to extend the life of an aging iMac
I do have one, because I was running out of memory.

gldngal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
A cheap solution:
1 external SSD drive of your choice (prebuild or DIY, SATA or nVME, anything will do, up to your budget)
4 stick of DDR3 RAM, 8GB x4 = 32GB.

Now you can install newer Mac OS version than Mojave onto the external SSD drive and use your iMac at much smoother user experience.
I like the idea of this. I do have an external HD. I have no idea if it's good or not, but it's an Inateck - 1 GB Drive.

gldngal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
As other posters have noted, you can improve your current machine. But it will take some knowledge of how to install macOS on an external SSD, etc. Using an external SSD as a boot device is not hard but may be intimidating if you've not done it before. Same with RAM upgrades.

If you do so you may find your 2015 machine all you need.

Otherwise, just buy the current iMac (but it's a 24" display, not 27").
Well...I've learned how to do a lot of things on YouTube. I'll take a look.

gldngal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
Booting to an external SSD kept our 2014 iMac alive and running much faster when the original HDD portion of the Fusion drive died. The other advantage is you can try a new version of Mac OS, or buy two external SSDs and make them both bootable, one with your current version (just backup your current drive to it), and the other with any newer version you'd like to try out.
This is good to know. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.