Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JazzyJacck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Hello I have Late 27" 2015 A1419 iMac. I installed a new PCIe SSD and sometimes it won’t recognize it. When it does recognize it, it works fine until my computer goes to sleep (or deep sleep?). When I wake the computer up, it restarts because of a problem, a panic report corresponding to kernal_task. It then stops recognizing the SSD. Does anyone know why this is happening?

I get this from the Problem report:
  • Panic Report ***
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f9367eb92): nvme: "InitializeNVMe error = 0xE00002D7\n"

EDIT: Is the SSD incompatible or is it a faulty SSD? Or did I need to have High Sierra on my system before installing it?

Last edited:

JazzyJacck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Same problem I have using a 970 Evo 1TB, SAME IMAC, I though it might be a bad SSD??
Hmm. I thought the 970 Evo wasn't compatible with "our" iMac? Did you use an adapter? Maybe mine isn't compatible either and that's why we had this problem.

EDIT: Did you install High Sierra before putting the new SSD in?

Someone on eBay told me this: "Yes this is a known issue. If you dig through the internet, you'll find users that have experienced this exact issue. It has to do with the iMac chipset for that model year which affects a small percentage of those iMac owners. We've seen this same issue as well with UK/Aus iMac models as well. Also note that the deep sleep issue is just a small portion of the problem. Users have also complained about corruption and data loss."

And /u/beetstechrepair on Reddit told me this: "I don't think your SSD is faulty. Looking back on our testing of SSPOLARIS controlled NVMe Apple drives it appears we noted a kernel panic on wake from sleep on some 2015 A1419's."

Last edited:

Bugs713

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2018
Apache Junction, AZ USA
Hmm. I thought the 970 Evo wasn't compatible with "our" iMac? Did you use an adapter? Maybe mine isn't compatible either and that's why we had this problem.

EDIT: Did you install High Sierra before putting the new SSD in?

Someone on eBay told me this: "Yes this is a known issue. If you dig through the internet, you'll find users that have experienced this exact issue. It has to do with the iMac chipset for that model year which affects a small percentage of those iMac owners. We've seen this same issue as well with UK/Aus iMac models as well. Also note that the deep sleep issue is just a small portion of the problem. Users have also complained about corruption and data loss."

And /u/beetstechrepair on Reddit told me this: "I don't think your SSD is faulty. Looking back on our testing of SSPOLARIS controlled NVMe Apple drives it appears we noted a kernel panic on wake from sleep on some 2015 A1419's."

Sorry for the late reply, family emergency!
Yes, Im using the Sintech adpator and was running Mojave 10.14.1 before the install.

I have these unchecked and that has stopped it:
* Put hard disks to sleep when possible.
* Wake for network access.
* Start up automatically after power failure

Checked:
* Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when display is off.
* Enable power nap.

And Turn display off after: 20 minutes

I read on here that this may be an issue with the Wake for network access?

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I have these unchecked and that has stopped it:
* Put hard disks to sleep when possible.
* Wake for network access.
* Start up automatically after power failure

Yep.

There are a number of Terminal Commands that affect Wake from Sleep on these. If you have a 2013-14, you need to run this one: sudo pmset hibernatemode 0 standby 0

I'm looking for a good tutorial page on these and which commands do exactly what in this regard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.