Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kasunchirantha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
Sri Lanka
Hi,

I got the above iMAC and I have a problem of accessing the Recovery mode of it.
I guess this happened after I tried to install Windows via BootCamp and then failed. (Allocated partition was recovered using bootcamp itself)
Neither of following doesn't work at the moment while booting with a Mac OS Ventura Bootable USB. (Earlier I installed Ventura using the same method)

1. Command+R
2. Command+Option+R
3. Command+Shift+Option+R
I tried resetting NVRAM/PRAM & SMC too. That too doesn't work.

Now it's on Mac OS Ventura. What ever key combination I tried it always goes to the login screen now.
I checked whether there is a keyboard issue or a bootable USB issue but both have no issues.

Also when I checked the disk by diskutil list. That too shows recovery partition is fine. (As per my understanding :)correct me if I am wrong) Figure attached.

I have already downloaded the Mac OS Ventura APP in to the applications. If I try to re-install it while inside the OS (without going to recovery mode), the recovery mode or recovery partition can be repaired?
Can you please suggest what I can do.

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 06.07.18.png

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Can you still boot from the Ventura bootable USB?

It looks to me that somehow you have ended up with 2 Mac volumes (where there should be only one). I could be wrong.

What I would do (and yes, I realize it's a job):
- Make sure your Mac stuff is backed up before proceeding
- If you can boot from the bootable USB, do so.
- Once booted, open disk utility.
- VERY IMPORTANT STEP -- go to the "view" menu and choose "show all devices" (I'm wondering if you did this earlier).
- Now, you have to look at the list on the left, to find the "top level" of the fusion drive (I've never touched a fusion drive Mac, so I don't know how this looks).
- Erase that to "APFS, GUID partition format"
- When done, quit disk utility and open the OS installer
- Install Ventura
- When done do setup. Have your backup connected and migrate as necessary.

• Love
Reactions: kasunchirantha

kasunchirantha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
Sri Lanka
Can you still boot from the Ventura bootable USB?

It looks to me that somehow you have ended up with 2 Mac volumes (where there should be only one). I could be wrong.

What I would do (and yes, I realize it's a job):
- Make sure your Mac stuff is backed up before proceeding
- If you can boot from the bootable USB, do so.
- Once booted, open disk utility.
- VERY IMPORTANT STEP -- go to the "view" menu and choose "show all devices" (I'm wondering if you did this earlier).
- Now, you have to look at the list on the left, to find the "top level" of the fusion drive (I've never touched a fusion drive Mac, so I don't know how this looks).
- Erase that to "APFS, GUID partition format"
- When done, quit disk utility and open the OS installer
- Install Ventura
- When done do setup. Have your backup connected and migrate as necessary.
Thanks a lot Mate. Actually Earlier I couldn't boot from Ventura Bootable USB either. But then as suggested on a different forum I tried going to recovery mode while the Magic Keyboard connected by cable to iMac. Surprisingly the key combinations worked then. (Earlier I tried with a windows wireless keyboard by pressing the representing keys, that didn't work either) So now everything is fine. (Actually there was no issue with the Fusion Drive; it still showed the SSD part and SATA part). My experience: Apple devices some times acts crazy :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.