Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Hello!

My iMac G5(rev A it did have that common fault that lots of iMac G5 Rec As did(with the smoke smell and yello puse on the inside) but was fixed by Apple

So i was using handbreak to rip some DVDs to my Mac. I also had QemuX to try and get XP and Linux on it.(never worked). I left to go to a party and left handbreak on ,ripping a DVD(it worked) and i think i left QemuX running but im not sure. So i came home and wake my iMac up. BAM it shuts down. I'm think "werid but a reboot should fix it" so i reboot. It gets to the grey Apple screen and BAM crashes agian. I keep trying each time i get to different places sometime to the web sometime does not even get to the blue backround with " Mac OSX starting up"

So now i have no idea what to do? So went to MR for help.

So think it hardware or software or BOTH? should i go to Apple Store and have them check it out? Anyy ideas?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
weird it almost sounds like it is the power supply. Or a lose power cord, make sure its plugged the whole way into the wall. Is your area know to have brown outs? Try resetting the PRAM also.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I would try resetting PRAM.
Then boot from an external Firewire Hard Drive or from your Install/Utility Disk (came with your iMac) and verify/repair the hard drive from within disk utility (or diskwarrior, techtool pro, techtool deluxe if you have the AppleCare disk).

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
TRY TO REset PRAM but i dont know if it worked becuz my iMac wont but from CD either. it gets to the grey screen with spinning "gear thing" and then goes back to a black screen(keeps doing it over and over) sometime it does not get tto a spinning "gear'':(

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
SO i think it might be a HardWare thing becuz its not booting ,even from Live CD.

Good thing i got my AppleCare:)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
zap2 said:
SO i think it might be a HardWare thing becuz its not booting ,even from Live CD.

Good thing i got my AppleCare:)
Sounds like you were trying to do some illegal/not supported by Apple type of things there. I'd do whatever it takes to get that HD to apple then they fix it or request that it's a lemon and want a rev. b+. :)

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Nothing illegal(cuz ripping store bought DVDs to your Mac is legal cuz Apple sells Quicktime Pro which does the same thing as HandBreak)

Ya im going down there 26th or would it be better to go know(or 24)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Regardless of whether you're doing something illegal or not, the system shouldn't fail like that. Get it AppleCared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.