Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Within an hour after the new iMacs appeared on the Apple site, I bought the Core 2 Duo 17" iMac for which I've been waiting a couple of months now. I opted for free ground shipping. Estimated 1-2 days until ship, 7 more days ship time, estimated delivery date was 9/15/06. Now the Apple site says "shipped" and the estimated delivery date by indirect Fed Ex ground shipping is tomorrow. Is this too good to be true? No way any ground service is going from California to Baltimore overnight. They would have to drive more than 200 mi/h.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
amin said:
Within an hour after the new iMacs appeared on the Apple site, I bought the Core 2 Duo 17" iMac for which I've been waiting a couple of months now. I opted for free ground shipping. Estimated 1-2 days until ship, 7 more days ship time, estimated delivery date was 9/15/06. Now the Apple site says "shipped" and the estimated delivery date by indirect Fed Ex ground shipping is tomorrow. Is this too good to be true? No way any ground service is going from California to Baltimore overnight. They would have to drive more than 200 mi/h.

Computers sometimes get shipped faster service just because it's a computer, and they have contracts with FedEX and stuff, so it doesn't make a big difference to them.

It *could* very well be true, but I don't know enough details to tell you, if it is.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Mammoth said:
Maybe someone at Apple likes you and had your shipping upgraded to next day. :p
I'd like to believe they gave me a special deal because I ordered so fast, but Fedex says "Ground-Indirect," so I don't think so :rolleyes:.

Here's the email I got:
66427472.zensHHm9.email.jpg

Here's the FedEx tracking page:
66427473.qBBTqa54.fedex.jpg

My experience with FedEx ground on the recent Mac Pro purchase was that they were really quite sluggish. I'm gonna try and suppress the hope for early delivery!

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
twoodcc said:
lucky you!

gotta let us know if you get it, and give us some benchmarks and pics :)

For sure! I don't know any benchmarks to run, but if this comes tomorrow, I will find some :).

afornander

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
this is kewl, i will be ordering a new stock 2.00ghz imac tomorow, hopefully this happens to me!!!

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
jessica. said:
Old ones ;) heh heh
That ain't right!

The bad news is that it was too good to be true. The tracking info was just updated, and the delivery date pushed back.

The good news is that the expected delivery is still a week ahead of schedule :).

Updated tracking (yes I am excited :D):
66437079.ejCZ7PLk.iMacupdate.jpg

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
I guess that explains those massive air freight shipments!
I wonder if any of the BTO configs were shipped in advance too...

Congratulations!

jsarrasinjr

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2005
western MA
FedEx tends to do this to us at my work pretty regularly, but only with ground.

Plus, Friday turn around on a brand new iMac is still awesome.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Thanks all. I think this is a good sign that iMac shipments will be prompt. Meanwhile Dell continues to list 2-week waits on pretty much all Core 2 Duo desktops and laptops.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Sorry to hear that you are not going to be able to get your new 17" iMac today amin, but September 8th will be here shortly and then you can enjoy your new machine. :)

bselack

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2006
I hope mine ships out of Lewisberry, I live in Lewisberry! (Should be next day delivery) But mine is scheduled to ship tomorrow... hope they don't run out at the FedEx facility before then.

Barrie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.