Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gabriel garcia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2017
Hello,

I just bought a new iMac and while I was using it yesterday and it suddenly shut down and started a very loud electric noise. I held the shutdown button to stop the noise and it stopped.

Today I arrived home and started using it, i plugged my xbox controller and it shut down again, this time without the noise. Then I restarted and removed the xbox controller and it shut down again.

I have connected on my usb ports 1 alesis v48 keyboard + a focusrite 2i4 connected to my 2 m-audio v32 audio monitors that have also to be plugged to the power supply + the xbox controller.

I don't understand why, because the same things connected to my old macbook air, work with no problem.

The only thing I can think of is that all is connected to the same wall (a thin wall at my house) and another day I connected the iron press to the same wall and it all also shut down.

Is it the wall? Is it the audio monitors? Is it the xbox controller? Or is it the iMac?

Thank you veyr much for the help in advance

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You bought a very expensive computer that shutdown with a large electrical noise as you posted. That's not supposed to happen. Its brand new, get it exchanged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.