Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
How are you guys doing?

I recently watched a YouTube video that had music playing in the background.
The music was quiet at first but in one scene it was extremely loud and distorted.

Even tho I had the volume on the lowest setting on my mac it was so loud that i had to mute the video.

I fear that my speakers got damaged because of that video. I have pretty good ears and now when I listen to music I feel like some high frequencies are annoying me. For example the hi hats on some songs seem to ˋstab´.

Now, I hope Im just paranoid and the mac speakers are okay but is there a chance that a YouTube video damages imac speakers?
I read that youtube normalizes audio to prevent distortion but I downloaded some videos, pulled them into a DAW and saw that they were clipping.

Too Long, Didn’t Read: Can clipping / distortion damage iMac speakers?

Thanks.

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
The music was quiet at first but in one scene it was extremely loud and distorted.

Even tho I had the volume on the lowest setting on my mac it was so loud that i had to mute the video.
Link to the vid you were listening to? I wanna trash my speakers too at their lowest setting...

(In other words: Did something break? Possibly. Will anybody believe an outlandish claim aimed at making it look like it was totally not your fault? No.)

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
Link to the vid you were listening to? I wanna trash my speakers too at their lowest setting...

(In other words: Did something break? Possibly. Will anybody believe an outlandish claim aimed at making it look like it was totally not your fault? No.)
By a few Bluetooth speakers on ebay...from China like I did...when they don't connect to the mac...you just Trash them simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.