Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojellybean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Hi everyone, I've had my iMac for a few months and it works great, but I have noticed that there is a static noise every time I scroll down or up a webpage and go back and forth. I looked into it and see that some people are also affected by it and I don't know if anyone has an idea about it. I don't mind the noise because it's only heard when I put my ear to the back of the monitor or the room is very quiet, but I hope it's not a faulty power supply or anything. Thanks for your help, God bless and happy holidays!

Reactions: Gravydog316

baileymihalovich

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2017
I am having the same exact issue. I am taking my iMac January 1st to have it inspected by an apple technician as I have read online that it is an issue with the PSU within the iMac. Mine wouldn't even power up when I shut it down until apple sent me a new power cord and it still hasn't fixed the electric buzzing noise! I will keep you posted with what I find.

MarcoTogni

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2017
Try disabling WiFi.

in my case, disabling WiFi didn't change anything. The problems seems coming from screen or power unit.

Hi everyone, I've had my iMac for a few months and it works great, but I have noticed that there is a static noise every time I scroll down or up a webpage and go back and forth. I looked into it and see that some people are also affected by it and I don't know if anyone has an idea about it. I don't mind the noise because it's only heard when I put my ear to the back of the monitor or the room is very quiet, but I hope it's not a faulty power supply or anything. Thanks for your help, God bless and happy holidays!

I recommend to read this post that I created: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2017-imac-27-5k-buzz-electric-noise-urgent.2061294/

in that post you can hear a recording I did, so you can check if you are having the same problem.
I just returned the 2 iMacs to Apple, and then I still didn't buy anything.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I have the same issue with my late 2013 Mac Pro. I only notice the buzzing late at night when the house is super quiet, all other times it's drowned out by other noise. It seems to be related to high CPU load when turbo boosting. My late 2013 MBP also had a similar buzzing when writing heavily to the SSD. I've learned to live with the buzzing on both machines, but I understand it can be annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.