Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Hi all, yesterday after updating the open core legacy i plugged an external cd drive into the iMac and immediately it shut down and does not come on any more. Has anyone experienced this or can anyone advise on what I can do or if I need to throw it away as it’s 10 years old and it’s not worth spending money on a repair?

Thanks in advance

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
can anyone advise on what I can do
You are going to have to provide a lot more details about your iMac model and configuration, OCLP version, and macOS version installed, etc. before anyone can advise.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Eh… it’s 10 years old and an iMac, that tells me what I need to know.

First step - unplug the power cord.

Second - unplug everything from the Mac other than keyboard & mouse (if not wireless). All USB, hubs, drives, displays, etc.

Third - after it’s been unplugged about 30 seconds or more, press & hold the Power button. While holding that, plug in the power cord. If it turns on, the fans are gonna scream like BANSHEES. Don’t panic.

Fourth - if that worked, shut down & restart. Fans should be normal.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

marius_3d

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2017
Hi all, yesterday after updating the open core legacy i plugged an external cd drive into the iMac and immediately it shut down and does not come on any more. Has anyone experienced this or can anyone advise on what I can do or if I need to throw it away as it’s 10 years old and it’s not worth spending money on a repair?

Thanks in advance
I had a similar experience after updating OCLP, no boot screen, nothing. I have put OCLP on a stick and booted from it, then I have selected the SSD/HDD with macOS and it launched. After that I reinstalled OCLP on EFI partition on the SSD/HDD. Something must have gotten corrupted in the EFI partition on the last update.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010

Second - unplug everything from the Mac other than keyboard & mouse (if not wireless). All USB, hubs, drives, displays, etc.

Third - after it’s been unplugged about 30 seconds or more, press & hold the Power button. While holding that, plug in the power cord. If it turns on, the fans are gonna scream like BANSHEES. Don’t panic.

Hi just tried this and the fans came on but the OS did not boot up

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010

I restarted it but the only thing working are the fans

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
You are going to have to provide a lot more details about your iMac model and configuration, OCLP version, and macOS version installed, etc. before anyone can advise.
Hi it’s the 2013 27 inch model with the 3.2 intel processor and I had it patched up and installed the latest Sonoma. It had just updated the open core legacy patcher to the latest 1.4.1 when this happened.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I had a similar experience after updating OCLP, no boot screen, nothing. I have put OCLP on a stick and booted from it, then I have selected the SSD/HDD with macOS and it launched. After that I reinstalled OCLP on EFI partition on the SSD/HDD. Something must have gotten corrupted in the EFI partition on the last update.
So will it give me the option to boot from the stick if all I see is a black screen when I try to boot normally?

marius_3d

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2017
Yes, assuming is not a hardware fault your problem looks exactly like mine (also late 2013 iMac). You have to prepare the stick with OCLP on another mac. Plug it in your iMac, then press power button, then hold “alt/option”, hopefully you will be greeted with OCLP icon from the stick. You will then proceed to boot macOS from SSD/HDD. And finally hit “build and install opencore” to reinstall opencore to the EFI partition of the SSD/HDD and remove the USB stick.

Hope this make sense, english is not my native language.

L.E. Actualy you can test right now without a stick if the problem is due to opencore corruption. Just press power button and hold “alt/option”, if it shows the boot selector then what I said before is relevant.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Yes, assuming is not a hardware fault your problem looks exactly like mine (also late 2013 iMac). You have to prepare the stick with OCLP on another mac. Plug it in your iMac, then press power button, then hold “alt/option”, hopefully you will be greeted with OCLP icon from the stick. You will then proceed to boot macOS from SSD/HDD. And finally hit “build and install opencore” to reinstall opencore to the EFI partition of the SSD/HDD and remove the USB stick.

L.E. Actualy you can test right now without a stick if the problem is due to opencore corruption. Just press power button and hold “alt/option”, if it shows the boot selector then what I said before is relevant.
That is a problem as I don’t have another mac. Will it work if I download the patcher in the stick with a windows pc?

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010

Just tried without the stick but I see nothing all that happens is the fans working

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
Unfortunately it sounds like the boot has been corrupted so you would need a working boot drive on the stick in order to get it up and working. With OCLP having overwritten the recovery partition you will need an external copy to reinstall. In theory you could do it on a windows PC as long as you formatted it right

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Unfortunately it sounds like the boot has been corrupted so you would need a working boot drive on the stick in order to get it up and working. With OCLP having overwritten the recovery partition you will need an external copy to reinstall. In theory you could do it on a windows PC as long as you formatted it right
OK is it a case of formatting the stick and then copy the OCLP in it?

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Do you mean that I need an external copy of sonoma on a bootable usb stick?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.