Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
UK
Hi all,

My iMac… It’s a 2014 model. I have an iPhone 15PM arriving in the next few days, and I’ve just had the realisation that the included cable won’t connect to my iMac as it’s not USB-C. I still backup my phones and photos to my Mac, so I need to be able to connect it.

Belkin do a USB to USB C cable that is a fine alternative for that job, but I also have an Apple fast charging mains plug. The Belkin cable only supports up to 15w, my Apple (if I remember rightly) is 25w.

Could anybody recommend a USB to USB-C cable that supports those speeds? I don’t want to buy a new plug as it gets used for a few iPhones in the house, and equally, when I search online, I’m hit with a plethora of those types of cables from a variety of manufacturers, and I don’t really want to buy something that’s cr@p.

Im UK based, so any recommendations would be greatly received!

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Hi all,

My iMac… It’s a 2014 model. I have an iPhone 15PM arriving in the next few days, and I’ve just had the realisation that the included cable won’t connect to my iMac as it’s not USB-C. I still backup my phones and photos to my Mac, so I need to be able to connect it.

Belkin do a USB to USB C cable that is a fine alternative for that job, but I also have an Apple fast charging mains plug. The Belkin cable only supports up to 15w, my Apple (if I remember rightly) is 25w.

Could anybody recommend a USB to USB-C cable that supports those speeds? I don’t want to buy a new plug as it gets used for a few iPhones in the house, and equally, when I search online, I’m hit with a plethora of those types of cables from a variety of manufacturers, and I don’t really want to buy something that’s cr@p.

Im UK based, so any recommendations would be greatly received!
For iPhone 15PM

- USB-A to USB-C cable tops out at 12W with USB-A iMac & charger

- USB-C to USB-C cable is at 25W with any 25W or higher USB-C charger

In compliance with EU law all future Apple devices will abandon the Lightning connector for USB-C ports & bundled USB-C to USB-C cables.

Unless you want to continue 5-12W slow charge all your USB-C devices & keep buying USB-A to USB-C cables to replace Lighting cables you are better off buying a USB-C charger with 1 or more USB-C & USB-A ports like this UGREEN 200W.

Any USB device are designed to control how much input power it accepts. So no chance of over charging.

36055a0b-b95e-4a7b-bc0d-9abad3b08cc3.__CR0_0_970_600_PT0_SX970_V1_1024x1024.jpg

3b6c8b17-c32a-45f5-8171-15270b587fa2.__CR0_0_970_600_PT0_SX970_V1_1024x1024.jpg

Review of the UGREEN 200W charger.

Last edited:

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
UK
For iPhone 15PM

- USB-A to USB-C cable tops out at 12W with USB-A iMac & charger

- USB-C to USB-C cable is at 25W with any 25W or higher USB-C charger

In compliance with EU law all future Apple devices will abandon the Lightning connector for USB-C ports & bundled USB-C to USB-C cables.

Unless you want to continue 5-12W slow charge all your USB-C devices & keep buying USB-A to USB-C cables to replace Lighting cables you are better off buying a USB-C charger with 1 or more USB-C & USB-A ports like this UGREEN 200W.

Any USB device are designed to control how much input power it accepts. So no chance of over charging.

36055a0b-b95e-4a7b-bc0d-9abad3b08cc3.__CR0_0_970_600_PT0_SX970_V1_1024x1024.jpg

3b6c8b17-c32a-45f5-8171-15270b587fa2.__CR0_0_970_600_PT0_SX970_V1_1024x1024.jpg

Review of the UGREEN 200W charger.

Thanks for the detailed response. I don’t use my iMac to charge my phone, but every so often I knock my phone off the wireless charger over night and need to be able to charge my phone quickly in the morning. I just didn’t want to increase the charge time unnecessarily. I mean, I’m not a heavy user, and most of the time I can go 2 days without needing to charge, but In those occasions where I need to charge it quickly, I need to be able to charge it quickly.

Got everything else ready for the phone, just forgot about the compatibility with my vintage iMac 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Thanks for the education 👍🏻

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Thanks for the detailed response. I don’t use my iMac to charge my phone,
Not to nitpick but you claim to have a 2014 iMac but your signature says 2013.

Either way in less than 3 months it will be 2024. If you intend to buy a 2024 iMac 24" M3 then it is likely to be all USB-C.

So buying a USB-A to USB-C cable may not be necessary anymore.
but every so often I knock my phone off the wireless charger over night and need to be able to charge my phone quickly in the morning. I just didn’t want to increase the charge time unnecessarily. I mean, I’m not a heavy user, and most of the time I can go 2 days without needing to charge, but In those occasions where I need to charge it quickly, I need to be able to charge it quickly.

Got everything else ready for the phone, just forgot about the compatibility with my vintage iMac 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Thanks for the education 👍🏻
I 12W USB-A slow charge for under 5 hours overnight and 25W USB-C fast charge in the car to get 0-50% in 30 mins drive.

I don't wireless charge because it adds cost and waste heat that could be for charging the battery. It is a good backup if the USB-C port is damaged or there is a public wireless charger.

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
UK
I forget it’s a late 2013 model as I got it in Feb 2014. I’m not planning on replacing the Mac for the time being, so I need to find a solution that works for me now.

In relation to wireless charging, I’m happy for it to charge overnight-I don’t drive to work, I cycle-the PC at work has a ridiculously low-power USB output so it just doesn’t charge the phone, and I have literally 2 sockets at my desk, both of which are in use.

I’ll pick up the Belkin as I’ll need it anyway, and see how I get on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.