Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Sure, all the details were leaked, but if you found out a few days early that you were getting a Ferrari for Christmas, would you be disappointed on 12/25?

Hell yeah I'd be disappointed. I don't want a Ferrari (iPhone), when I'm expecting a private jet (GS3).

Last edited:

ColeHarris

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Processor: Megahertz myth. The A6 is more advanced (Cortex A15). Besides, iOS is more efficient.

Screen: iPhone5 : 326PPI. Galaxy S3 306 PPI.

GPU: The 4S held its own against the S3. The 5 should be even faster.

Before you go touring BS next time, why don't you check up on some facts first, eh? :D

Screen: some people put priority on PPI, some on total resolution. Neither make for a better screen.

GPU: "Should be even faster" you're debating using assumptions? Seriously?

Processor: "More advanced" what does that even mean? iOS is more efficient? Exactly how is iOS more efficient at running CPU intensive tasks, like games and high res playback? Also we don't know if its an A15 yet so...

Anyways we could go back and forth for years debating which is a better phone based on assumptions and hyperboles, but seeing as the iPhone 5 has yet to be released or even reviewed yet we'll just have to wait and see then.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Processor: "More advanced" what does that even mean? iOS is more efficient? Exactly how is iOS more efficient at running CPU intensive tasks, like games and high res playback? Also we don't know if its an A15 yet so...

Anyways we could go back and forth for years debating which is a better phone based on assumptions and hyperboles, but seeing as the iPhone 5 has yet to be released or even reviewed yet we'll just have to wait and see then.

More advanced means just that. The Galaxy is running on the equivalent of the Core 2 and the iPhone is running on the equivalent of the Ivy Bridge. You can't compare the two on clock speed or even cores alone. Also, the OS makes a difference. Side by side, it's hard to tell that the SIII has a processor twice as the iPhone 4S and 4 times the RAM. In real world tasks, the 4S holds its own, and that's directly a function of the OS.

As for the screen, you were the one who bolded the S3 by virtue of its higher resolution. I pointed out that it came at a cost.

----------

Hell yeah I'd be disappointed. I don't want a Ferrari (iPhone), when I'm expecting a private jet (GS3).

The S3 is more like a GMC Jimmy. Sure it's bigger, but that's about it.

ColeHarris

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
More advanced means just that. The Galaxy is running on the equivalent of the Core 2 and the iPhone is running on the equivalent of the Ivy Bridge. You can't compare the two on clock speed or even cores alone. Also, the OS makes a difference. Side by side, it's hard to tell that the SIII has a processor twice as the iPhone 4S and 4 times the RAM. In real world tasks, the 4S holds its own, and that's directly a function of the OS.

As for the screen, you were the one who bolded the S3 by virtue of its higher resolution. I pointed out that it came at a cost.

----------

The S3 is more like a GMC Jimmy. Sure it's bigger, but that's about it.

"The Galaxy is running on the equivalent of the Core 2 and the iPhone is running on the equivalent of the Ivy Bridge" I don't know where you are getting these "facts" from but that sounds pretty out there, I'd like to see you prove that.

These high end processors aren't designed to increase performance in medial tasks they're designed for high performance tasks such as gaming, where I can assure you the GS3 easily outperforms any iPhone as shown in the graphs below:
46302.png

How it compares to the iPhone 5 we'll have to wait and see.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
"The Galaxy is running on the equivalent of the Core 2 and the iPhone is running on the equivalent of the Ivy Bridge" I don't know where you are getting these "facts" from but that sounds pretty out there, I'd like to see you prove that.

It's called an analogy. The Cortex A9 is the older generation while the A15 is the newer generation. The Core 2 was Intel's earlier generation. The Ivy Bridge is a newer generation. I'd have used Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, but the differences between those two aren't that great.

The S3 outperforms the 4S, which is to be expected since it came out a few months later and uses a faster version of the Cortex A9.

ColeHarris

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
It's called an analogy. The Cortex A9 is the older generation while the A15 is the newer generation. The Core 2 was Intel's earlier generation. The Ivy Bridge is a newer generation. I'd have used Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, but the differences between those two aren't that great.

The S3 outperforms the 4S, which is to be expected since it came out a few months later and uses a faster version of the Cortex A9.

We're not comparing age, we're comparing speed. Some high end intel processors from 5 years ago can still beat some of intel's newer low end processors. A fair comparison might be that the iPhone is running on an i3 Sandy Bridge, and the GS3 on an Xeon Westmere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.