Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
I had a problem with my 2012 iMac waking constantly under High Sierra. It was due to a rapportd process which works with iOS devices. Basically as soon as my iMac tried to sleep it would get woken up again. I figured powering down to immediately power up constantly wasn't good for my hardware. So I turned off wake for network access. More than half a year later, and right before Mojave was released, Apple marked my issue as being fixed in Mojave. So I upgraded to Mojave optimistically and reenabled wake on network access.

Now I have the exact same issue but seemingly due to a different cause. My iMac is still waking up just as soon as it sleeps. I believe it is due to my Apple TV 4K. When I do a search of my logs it is littered with these entries:

Code:
(AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: GIGE (Network)

and

(AppleBCM5701Ethernet) AppleBCM5701Ethernet [en0]: Wake reason: Enet.Service - Connection attempt with TCP from {mac address} {hex code}.56072 to {different hex code}.3689

The mac address is the mac address of my Apple TV. After the first {hex code} is, I think, a port number. This increases by one each time. It may be associated with iTunes. The second port number is always 3689. Based on some searching this might be associated with iTunes and WiFi sync. I do have iTunes running and I use WiFi syncing on my iPad, iPhone and an old iPhone I use as an iPod.

So, has anyone else experienced this? I guess I can try shutting down iTunes to see if this behavior stops. But that isn't really a fix. I want iTunes running so I can use media I have stored on my iMac on my Apple TV. This is precisely what I wasn't able to due for over half a year under High Sierra.

I hate to say it but I'm really starting to find Apple software no better than the Windows world I left years ago. I end up spending way too much time trying to get the software to work, and in the end still fail. When I first got an iMac to go along with my iPad and iPhone I loved the way it did just work. Now it seems like far too many things don't work and the promise of more expensive, limited hardware sets being reliable is a lie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.