Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IDMah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Maybe I'm being paranoid but I've noticed that around 4:30-5 am our iMac or
at least the USB Hub wakes up.

I notice this because we have a Razor Mouse and several other devices plugged into it and they light up! Around that time. Is there any way to check for key loggers or Spyware?

I've run Malwarebites Scanner and Avira, but nothing shows up.
Just wondering..

thanks
Ian

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
New FBI requirement, the computer is supposed to record your actions before & after the release of the JFK assassination files o_O

All seriousness, with running malware bites, likely it's a program that is set to wake the computer to perform some function. It could be as simple as a timed backup with a "wake to backup" command running. There should be a command that will tell you what woke up the computer, but I don't remember.

Reactions: mbosse

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
My old iMac would sometimes be awake in the morning as I passed the room after waking up. I thought I was being hacked, but I eventually found out by accident it was my bedside light sending a small electrical spike when turning the switch on and so triggering my iMac to wake up.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'll offer "Fishrrman's surefire solution" so that the iMac can NEVER wake up at night on you:

1. Buy a power strip or surge protector with an on/off switch
2. Plug the iMac (and accessories) into it.
3. At night when you're done with it, power-off the iMac, then power-off the power strip.
4. In the morning, power-ON the power strip, then press the iMac's power-on button.

100% absolutely positively guaranteed that it CANNOT wake up on its own this way!

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
I'll offer "Fishrrman's surefire solution" so that the iMac can NEVER wake up at night on you:

1. Buy a power strip or surge protector with an on/off switch
2. Plug the iMac (and accessories) into it.
3. At night when you're done with it, power-off the iMac, then power-off the power strip.
4. In the morning, power-ON the power strip, then press the iMac's power-on button.

100% absolutely positively guaranteed that it CANNOT wake up on its own this way!

What about people sneaking in in the middle of the night and switching the power back on while you're sleeping?

I recommend adding a security system...then no velociraptors will turn them it on.

IDMah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Hi All.

Sorry Been away.. Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the wake on Lan. is disabled.
Seems just to be the USB hub.. I might just donate it to goodwill/ trash it and buy another one.
Just to be ultra-paranoids Tinfoil hat wearing!

No offence to tinfoil hat wearing Aliens are controlling my brain from space folks.
Because that stuff happen!!! because I saw it in a movie once... Hahah!
thanks

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
IDMah – yeah, it seems premature to suspect spyware. Careful about getting rid of the USB hub – there's no guarantee what's happening is unique to that hub.

If you haven't done so, check "System Preferences > Energy Saver > Wake for network access" is off.

If you're really worried, you could always shut down (or at least log out of) your Mac at the end of the day, or turn off Wi-fi to prevent it accessing the Internet.

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
Check out this thread regarding kernel panics in retina MacBooks:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/kernel-panics-on-macbook-12-9-1.1980359/

In the thread folks figure out that the MacBooks are waking from sleep every two hours. It has something to with iCloud. Something in MacOS wants to contact the mothership constantly. Potentially even when you don't use iCloud.

(The MacBooks are crashing because of some problem waking the processor. That's not an issue with iMacs.)

Some weeks ago, my DSL was down. I put my iMac to sleep, and then went to take a nap myself. Upon waking, I woke the computer and checked the DSL router's status and error logs. It had logged hourly DNS lookup failures - something on my local network must have trying to go online once an hour. It must have been the iMac...

IDMah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Since the screen never wakes up.
My low tech solution is to cover the usb ports and mouse with a towel and pretend it's not happening. Hahah!

thanks.

Reactions: Ifti

Haseo

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
I had this same issue with a 2012 iMac and it ended up being a Razer mouse I had.

I’m not sure if it was the mouse itself or Razer Synapse but after uninstalling both the issue stopped. :/

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Jun 11, 2011
My iMac's screen randomly turned on as I walked into the room and jumped onto the bed.

I doubt the bed was able to move the iMac.
Now i'm paranoid.

gian8989

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
You should check if you have any background activity set. For example I have CCC to backup some folders at 11pm and when it starts the screen turn on. Also like Mr_Brightside_@ said, check if powerNAP is on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.