Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoboldTravis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
So i went on vacation recently for 2 weeks and when i returned my computer would not turn on, it was really cold when i touched it, and a day later after raising the heat its still cold and wont turn on.. i was wondering if i could get some help.

This has happend before when i returned from vacation in november but it turns on after a hour or so.

stevefo

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
So i went on vacation recently for 2 weeks and when i returned my computer would not turn on, it was really cold when i touched it, and a day later after raising the heat its still cold and wont turn on.. i was wondering if i could get some help.

This has happend before when i returned from vacation in november but it turns on after a hour or so.

Unplug it for a minute then plug it back in wait 15 seconds then turn it back on and report back.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Temperature shouldn't affect it. A cold house will be 50C or so, not freezing or anything.

Sounds like your PSU or logic board is dead.

KoboldTravis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
I tried all of these and nothing worked, i could not find the other power cord if i had one

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
It might possibly be a dead PRAM battery. Exactly what model iMac do you have?

KoboldTravis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
It might possibly be a dead PRAM battery. Exactly what model iMac do you have?
Sorry it was sideways i'm in a hurry right now. Hope this is the right thing.

Attachments

• IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    321.8 KB · Views: 285

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
I can't tell for sure what model of Mac that is, but tearing down an iMac to get at the battery is not for the faint of heart and I can't find a guide to do it. I am afraid it might be time to take the computer in to the Apple Store.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
When you unplug the power cable, be sure that nothing else is plugged in. No external drive, ethernet, USB cables, unplug everything. 5 or ten seconds will be enough, but let it set for a couple of minutes with no connections.
Press and release the power button (still nothing connected)
Wait another 10 seconds, then plug in power cord ONLY. Wait another 10 seconds.
Now, press and release the power button.
You should hear sounds, like the boot chime, or listen carefully for the hard drive to spin up. You may even hear the fan spin.
Connect a USB wired keyboard, press the caps lock key. Does that key light up?

If you get no response,yYou will need to open the iMac so you can see the internal test LEDs.
That will tell you very quickly if you have a power supply failure, or some other issue, any of which will need some hardware repairs.
If you are uncomfortable with opening up your iMac, take it to a Apple-authorized service shop.

KoboldTravis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
Dont know if this matters or not, but my computer just now turned on to the white screen with the apple logo then turned off and now it wont turn back on, so we can assume its not dead right?

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
Dont know if this matters or not, but my computer just now turned on to the white screen with the apple logo then turned off and now it wont turn back on, so we can assume its not dead right?

Check, disconnect, and reconnect all of the connections that you can get to such as external power cord and any PSU to motherboard connectors inside the iMac. This could be as simple as a loose connector due to contraction due to the cold.

KoboldTravis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
My computer just came back online after it came online then turned off, i heard some sounds from it so i turned it on and its back! Thank you all so much for your advice even if it may or may not have helped, Like thank you all so much for taking a tiny part out of your day to help.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
My computer just came back online after it came online then turned off, i heard some sounds from it so i turned it on and its back! Thank you all so much for your advice even if it may or may not have helped, Like thank you all so much for taking a tiny part out of your day to help.

Has it stayed working since then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.