Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jerseys Finest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2001
I was contemplating purchasing the new 700 MHz iMAC. But after seeing the change in Apple products I was wondering if I should wait until the Mac expo in January until I purchase a new iMAC. If anyone knows anything or heard anything about the future of the iMACs may they please respond, Dastradamus@home.com
Thanks
Jerseys Finest.

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
um...yeah

Just browse the message boards on this one...there's a lot of speculation but not much hard fact. Keep in mind that most people have 5 times the computer that they need. Do your needs justify the wait?

itomato

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2001
Wait. Then, if you don't like what you see, you can get the older model for a nice discount. (If you're lucky)

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I would waite

That some of the others said was ture... that you can always keep waiting. The thing is that the iMac is getting old and has not had a major upgrade in a long time. The next upgrade well be a big one. The current ones are nice and well do the job for you. Unless you demand a little more power. I would wait

Tommy!

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2001
NH
Wait!

Ive been contimplating a new iMac for the past few months. And, I've decided, I'm waiting until a new casing arrives. It will be a long, hard wait, but if I buy one now, Ill lose a lot of money down the road because I know that i would have my heart set on the new one!

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
September?

Waiting until September is silly. You simply won't see a new product at Paris, with the new iMacs having just been introduced. That would be totally out of sync with Apple's patterns of product introductions, even given the fact that the iMac is "due" for a major upgrade.

If you need a computer, go buy now! You can get a good machine for a good price right now.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
not necessarily true, the only thing that was really updated for the "new" imacs was the processor. the processor can be put into a new casing/shortnecks whatever they may have waiting for us.

biker4mac

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2001
South Central Pennsylvania
New iMacs

I am contemplating this decision as well. My Performa 6400 is way long in the tooth. I've been working in WinTel offices lately and have to admit not really being into coming home and "playing" with a computer as well. Lately, though, I have been getting into some personal computer projects and need to upgrade.

Since I have not been into Macs heavily lately, I was thinking about getting a decent iMac, getting back into things, playing with OS X, that sort of thing, and then thinking about upgrading to a tower in a year to a year and a half based on what I learned with the iMac. Don't worry, I have uses lined up for the iMac after upgrading -- not a problem with wasting money now that could be spent later on the tower.

The one thing that I would really like, though, would be a combo (CDRW, DVD playback) drive... Have not seen any rumors on that being available for the iMac -- although it is available for the iBook, TiPB, and tower models... Anyone else hear rumors?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
look...

Originally posted by mnkeybsness
not necessarily true, the only thing that was really updated for the "new" imacs was the processor. the processor can be put into a new casing/shortnecks whatever they may have waiting for us.

It had a *NEW MODEL NUMBER* and was called a *NEW iMAC.* That means it WILL have a product life of longer than 2 months. If I'm wrong I will dance naked in Times Square when the announcement comes.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
people..people

Wait till end september. I would get a G4 if I were you. Forget the G3, it is out and old. The g4 kicks butt but if you really want the goods, I would wait for the G5 in Feb beginning.

Kola

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
patience

My previous comment still standing, I would wait for this one. The new iMac, when it comes, should be a significant change from the current one, so in this case it might be worth it. If there weren't such a big update on the horizon, I'd say get one now. Just remember to think it through, and do what fits your needs best.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i'm with fierceboy up there. think it through, those rumors about shortnecks are pretty convincing to me, and if they aren't to you, then go ahead and jump on the imac train now.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
its only 1 month

It's only one month... wait it out. If there is no big upgrade.. then you can get the newest one or get the older one for a nice price. Steve well push somthing out the door.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: its only 1 month

Originally posted by evildead
Steve well push somthing out the door.

You are completely and totally on crack. It's like you people are completely out of touch with how the computing industry works.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
WAit..Wait

Wait forever!!!! Wait till they don't produce them anymore!! They should have a new processor/Vid card/Monitor soon...
So wait. I should of waited till the next rev on my imac.
I have a 233 Rev a imac. I GOT MY RAM!!!!!! YAY 256 MORE RAM!!!!!

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: WAit..Wait

Originally posted by MrMacman
Wait forever!!!! Wait till they don't produce them anymore!! They should have a new processor/Vid card/Monitor soon...
So wait. I should of waited till the next rev on my imac.
I have a 233 Rev a imac. I GOT MY RAM!!!!!! YAY 256 MORE RAM!!!!!

Does anyone ever have a clue what this guy is saying? Like, in English?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Re: Re: its only 1 month

Originally posted by john123
Steve well push somthing out the door.

You are completely and totally on crack. It's like you people are completely out of touch with how the computing industry works.

What are you talking about? The iMac is due for a new look. If they get rid of it and call it somthing else or what ever they do... it's going to be new. Apple is a little diffrent than other computer copmpainies. They are more like Calvin Kline than IBM.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: Re: Re: its only 1 month

What are you talking about? The iMac is due for a new look. If they get rid of it and call it somthing else or what ever they do... it's going to be new. Apple is a little diffrent than other computer copmpainies. They are more like Calvin Kline than IBM.

Your attitude is a lot like that of a 13 year old before Christmas -- "I have to get something new and bigger and better and I have to get it on THIS date." The truth is that while you and even I may see the iMac as "due" for a new look, there are a lot of other things at work here: 1) design difficulties, 2) concerns with hitting a pricepoint, 3) not alienating people who bought a computer thinking it was a "new model" very recently (products NEVER EVER EVER EVER last just 2 months, even if we are talking about minor revisions -- new model number=new product and that's it).

And despite your optimism, no, Apple isn't all that different these days than your other computing companies? Calvin Klein? Please, let's have a modicum of reality here. That isn't so much to ask....

garyhoare

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2001
Providence, RI
Re: Re: Re: Re: its only 1 month

Originally posted by john123

Your attitude is a lot like that of a 13 year old before Christmas -- "I have to get something new and bigger and better and I have to get it on THIS date." The truth is that while you and even I may see the iMac as "due" for a new look, there are a lot of other things at work here: 1) design difficulties, 2) concerns with hitting a pricepoint, 3) not alienating people who bought a computer thinking it was a "new model" very recently (products NEVER EVER EVER EVER last just 2 months, even if we are talking about minor revisions -- new model number=new product and that's it).

And despite your optimism, no, Apple isn't all that different these days than your other computing companies? Calvin Klein? Please, let's have a modicum of reality here. That isn't so much to ask....
I've heard that St. John's Wort and Kava Kava can do wonders for improving one's mood and outlook..

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
PMS???

Yo JOhn123 are you having like PM freaking S? (Post menstrual bla bla bla??). Youre acting so sarcastic for no reason. Like that comic store guy in the simpsons. Just chill

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.