Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Just posting this here so it'll be found by search engines for folks having the same problem:

In recent versions of macOS, Image Capture has lost the checkable user-preference in the Import To: settings to enable, or disable "Make Subfolders Per Camera".

This setting is now hardcoded to ON, which means you can't just import images from your device to an arbitrary folder, it'll always create a subfolder for the device - your iPhone's name, or the camera card name etc.

The preference does still exist in the .plist file at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Image_Capture.plist, set to True. It's binary preference file, so you can't edit it in a text editor, but if you grab PLIST Editor.app from e Mac App Store, you can edit the plist, change the value to false.

What will happen now, is the "Make Subfolders Per Camera" option will return to the Import To: menu, so you can chose whether you want to use camera based subfolders or not.

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Just posting this here so it'll be found by search engines for folks having the same problem:

In recent versions of macOS, Image Capture has lost the checkable user-preference in the Import To: settings to enable, or disable "Make Subfolders Per Camera".

This setting is now hardcoded to ON, which means you can't just import images from your device to an arbitrary folder, it'll always create a subfolder for the device - your iPhone's name, or the camera card name etc.

The preference does still exist in the .plist file at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Image_Capture.plist, set to True. It's binary preference file, so you can't edit it in a text editor, but if you grab PLIST Editor.app from e Mac App Store, you can edit the plist, change the value to false.

What will happen now, is the "Make Subfolders Per Camera" option will return to the Import To: menu, so you can chose whether you want to use camera based subfolders or not.
Which system are you using?
I still have the option in Ventura and it doesn't create an extra folder for the camera or iPhone if I don't choose it
If I do it it works.

Screenshot.jpg

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Which system are you using?
I still have the option in Ventura and it doesn't create an extra folder for the camera or iPhone if I don't choose it
If I do it it works.

View attachment 2309380

OK that's interesting, I'm on the current Ventura, and the Make Subfolders per camera option wasn't available, it's also a problem I've seen reported elsewhere.

Did you get to Ventura via an upgrade from pre-Monterey?

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
OK that's interesting, I'm on the current Ventura, and the Make Subfolders per camera option wasn't available, it's also a problem I've seen reported elsewhere.

Did you get to Ventura via an upgrade from pre-Monterey?
No, I had it installed already on a new Mac.
I guess that maybe a clean install could fix it, but it's a lot of work. I can see that!
I should do it myself for other bugs- Notifications from App Store for example-
but I can live without all the hassle of doing that 🙄

Ventura= your bugs adVenture🐛🐞
If I could, I would be back to Monterey

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
No, I had it installed already on a new Mac.
I guess that maybe a clean install could fix it, but it's a lot of work. I can see that!
I should do it myself for other bugs- Notifications from App Store for example-
but I can live without all the hassle of doing that 🙄

Ventura= your bugs adVenture🐛🐞
If I could, I would be back to Monterey

Well that's the thing, my Ventura install was a clean erase and install for a newly acquired machine, It could be that it's just a common glitch, and not a change in intended functionality.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Well that's the thing, my Ventura install was a clean erase and install for a newly acquired machine, It could be that it's just a common glitch, and not a change in intended functionality.
At this point it's a glitch on my computer because it's working as intended instead of being a bug as usual....LOL

• Haha
Reactions: mattspace
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.