Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I was looking through the preview page (https://www.apple.com/osx/elcapitan-preview/) and glanced at the image about Metal and the improved graphics performance, and noticed it had some GIF compression artifacts.

https://www.apple.com/osx/elcapitan...view/performance/improvements/image_large.png

So I looked back and looked at the other images, and some images are crisp and perfect with no artifacts, while other images are ugly and dirty with GIF compression artifacts.

I wonder why it would have GIF artifacts when it is in PNG format. They probably converted it or saved it originally as GIF and then converted it to PNG.

How ironic, the image about the state-of-the-art Metal graphics has poor quality!

Here's a piece of the image:
Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 12.51.45 PM.png

Notice the GIF artifacts? You can especially see it in the sky in the first thumbnail where that woman is sitting on a horse.

mpfuchs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
VA
I don't see what you're talking about... It's way too small for me to make anything out.
But there is the same screenshot of Photos on Apples page if you scroll back up a little bit from the Metal info.
Do you see it there too?

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I don't see what you're talking about... It's way too small for me to make anything out.
But there is the same screenshot of Photos on Apples page if you scroll back up a little bit from the Metal info.
Do you see it there too?

Here it is:
https://www.apple.com/osx/elcapitan...iew/overview/photos/locations/image_large.png
No, there is no GIF compression artifacts there.
Here's a cutout:
Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 1.31.53 PM.png

There are, however, GIF artifacts on this screenshot of Photos, though with different photos:
https://www.apple.com/osx/elcapitan...ew/overview/notes/attachments/image_large.png

mpfuchs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
VA
Yes, I see it on two of those pics. In the blue...

Have to add, I'm on a retina screen now.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 2.18.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 2.18.50 PM.png

The one on the left is from the image of Metal, and the one on the right is from the other image.
The one on the left has GIF compression artifacts and the one on the right doesn't.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
... So? It's a promotional web image with compression artifacts. I don't see the problem.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
@KALLT: If it has artifacts, it is not really "promotional". :eek:

Nonsense and it depends on what they are promoting. Most people will not notice this and even if they do, they will accept that it's a compressed image for shorter loading times and less data usage, like everywhere else on the web. It's just an illustration of a feature, actually not even a good one as the core end-user benefit of Metal is graphics performance.

Reactions: LewisChapman

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Because reducing colours in a PNG image is an effective and common way of optimising images for web. This image is 168Kb. The same image saved out in 24-bit is 430Kb. I estimate that the full colour image saved as 24bit PNG would be at least four times that size again.

I could go into further detail if you wish, but suffice to say you were probably the only person that noticed. And that's weighed against keeping the payload of the page down so it loads faster, especially on mobile. Pretty much a no-brainer.

Reactions: crjackson2134

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I can see it easily. That said, would you want people complaining about how slow Apple's own website responds, or about a few artifacts. They're really inconsequential and not representative of the abilities of Metal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.