Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seanosx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
I know I'm not alone with this frustration about Disk Utility imaging in High Sierra. With Apple trying to move away from Disk Utility as a supported way of disk imaging, many admins are left in limbo. For years I have been able to use disk utility (via Target disk or recovery mode) to take and restore pre-built images. It seems it is no longer straightforward in High Sierra. I have tried every possible way I can think of to take an image and then deploy it, but the deployment is not working. Does anyone have experience in successfully creating and deploying disk images in High Sierra? I'm not looking for 3rd party cloning recommendations (though that may come later) - just a way to get it working in disk utility like it used to. Thanks!

currysquared

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2018
New Zealand
Having the same problems here as @seanosx . I've got a slew of OS X pre-built images used for our testing environment, and I often had to Restore Yosemite, El Capitan, or Sierra with scripts and packages installed using the Disk Utility app. With High Sierra's changes my workflow is not possible at all.

I'm wondering if others has been able to use High Sierra in a testing environment. If you're able to, how do you do it?

I'm looking into using Carbon Cloner but it seems like it won't be possible to restore images through the network with that, only backup.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Having the same problems here as @seanosx . I've got a slew of OS X pre-built images used for our testing environment, and I often had to Restore Yosemite, El Capitan, or Sierra with scripts and packages installed using the Disk Utility app. With High Sierra's changes my workflow is not possible at all.

I'm wondering if others has been able to use High Sierra in a testing environment. If you're able to, how do you do it?

I'm looking into using Carbon Cloner but it seems like it won't be possible to restore images through the network with that, only backup.

What about dd?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.