Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rrrriccc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2023
So, 2 weeks ago I got a brand new iPhone 13. I noticed that after a week or so, it already had image retention. Today, I decided to replace it and this brand new iPhone 13 also has it. My XS Max also happens to have image retention, so I'm just starting to wonder if I'm the unluckiest person alive or if this is completely normal and I'm doing the most.

rrrriccc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2023
iPhone 13 here. New in April 2023. Heavy user. No issues at all with image persistence.

This page may help you;

just got another replacement btw, still image retention lmao

• Wow
Reactions: Helmsley

rrrriccc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2023
Three devices with image retention? Wow, that is incredibly unlucky.

Are you able to share a photograph?
Yeah, but it's not really visible on camera for some reason. Either way, you can still see how its a little darker there due to the + rectangle thingy on TikTok beeing on screen (only for 5 minutes, btw). This has happened to all 3 phones so far
IMG_5998.jpg

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
It seems a bit unlikely that your old XS and three new iPhone 13s would all have defective displays exhibiting the exact same symptom - perhaps you are just unusually sensitive to the normal characteristics of OLED screens. I can barely see the dark spot you circled, and doubt I'd even notice it, let alone be bothered by it. At the risk of sounding unsympathetic, might I suggest that instead of looking for image defects so subtle that they can't even be captured in a photo, you just enjoy your new iPhone?

Reactions: bruinsrme

rrrriccc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2023
It seems a bit unlikely that your old XS and three new iPhone 13s would all have defective displays exhibiting the exact same symptom - perhaps you are just unusually sensitive to the normal characteristics of OLED screens. I can barely see the dark spot you circled, and doubt I'd even notice it, let alone be bothered by it. At the risk of sounding unsympathetic, might I suggest that instead of looking for image defects so subtle that they can't even be captured in a photo, you just enjoy your new iPhone?
As I said, it's nearly not as obvious in camera. That's just an example I took a photo of, but this also happens with the battery / wifi icons and also the status bar. I don't think I'm sensitive to OLED screens because I can't see the same effect on my friend's iPhone 13. I know it's subtle, but I'm very perfectionist about this kind of thing, and I am worried that it'll get worse. You might be right though. I just don't know if this is actually normal at all or what, but I can see it too much.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.