Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightenticer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Hi all,
I'm an iOS developer and I had a question about iMessage. Often times I test out prerelease builds of iOS application on newer versions of iOS, and I'm forced to go through the process of wiping and restoring from a backup. However, my backups can be glitchy and recently (due to a backup bigger than my new device), I'm unable to restore the backup to my device. However, that backup has thousands of iMessages that I wish to keep, preferably on the device itself.

So, I'm wondering - is there any simple solution that anybody has found/tried that allows some sort of autonomous syncing of imessages (either as they're received or on a scheduled basis), that either goes to a server or cloud account or something? I'm sick and tired of iMessage's lack of a server-side storage component for past messages (like something akin to Facebook's Messenger would do). I'd like to ensure that I don't lose messages to outdated backups and find someway to access them on the device, even if I have to go to another application to look at old messages.

In the past I've seen computer programs that allow you to extract from a previous backup and attempt to restore them to the device, but I'm looking to find something that's much more user friendly and mobile-oriented - I'd like the experience of saving old messages and accessing them from a different device to be as seamless as possible, aside from the fact that a 3rd party application would be involved.

Any ideas?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I don't have a specific product to recommend but if you have a backup there are tools for extracting the data. Some are free. Look at Google for "extract imessages from iphone backup"

nightenticer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Thanks @gsmornot - I've tried products like those in the past but the issue is that they don't tend to work tool well, nor do they allow for some way to view the information on an iOS device itself. Ideally I'm looking to see if there's like an application with a web component, or even something that works with an app like IFTTT (you know, triggers that result in an action). Just something that's more native and hopefully more reliable, or even automatic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.