Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milleron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
On iOS 13 for iPhone, but not on iPad, the home-screen iMessage icon on my Xs Max displays the little red numerals indicating unread messages when there are none there. I can make them vanish by unchecking "Badge" in Messages preferences, but then, of course, I'll no longer see the icon notifications when there actually are unread messages. The banner notifications work properly.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Do you have ‘filter unknown senders’ turned on? I’ve had unread messages ’hide’ there before now.

milleron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
Hmmm . . . please explain what you mean by "hide." I certainly have no messages from unknown senders that show in Messages.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
If you received iMessages from unknown senders, and have the ‘Filter Unknown Senders’ option turned in, then those will go into the Unknown Senders tab. This happens very rarely in my experience, so I find it easy to forget that there might be messages in that tab.

So, they might result in you having unread messages which you don’t immediately spot, with the associated badge. It has happened to me with earlier versions of iOS. :)

milleron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
Ah, yes. I see. I have noticed that tab before, but completely forgot about it. That was exactly the problem. There were, indeed, a couple of filtered messages there, and deleting them got rid of the troublesome badge notification. Thanks a million.

Reactions: danmart

jmuscato

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
Thank you! I just upgraded to iOS 14 and I guess it turned on the “unknown sender”
Filter. I didn’t notice that the header was ow labeled “Known”. In iOS 13 I think there were 2 columns. Now you have to swipe to see the others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.