Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
With iOS 15, has anyone noticed that when you receive a reply from someone via iMessage, and open the message, you have to scroll up, to see the message/response? Almost as if the view is saved from the last time you were in that message/conversation.

That was not the case on iOS 14+, it would simply open iMessage to the bottom of your conversation with the person.
Is there a solution for this, or merely as designed?

Thanks

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Well, new messages appear on the bottom, so that's where the app takes you every time you open a conversation: to the bottom. That's what it's doing for me still on iOS 15.

By "scroll up" do you mean your finger is scrolling up (and thus the content on the screen is moving down)? To me, "scroll up" means you're scrolling the content up (which you do by moving your finger in a downward direction).

For me, it doesn't matter what position I'm in when I exit a conversation. As soon as I open it again, it takes me to the bottom.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Well, new messages appear on the bottom, so that's where the app takes you every time you open a conversation: to the bottom. That's what it's doing for me still on iOS 15.
Understood. However, I still have to swipe up just a tad, to see the newly received message.
That is my issue. That did not happen on iOS 14+...

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Understood. However, I still have to swipe up just a tad, to see the newly received message.
That is my issue. That did not happen on iOS 14+...

I'm not sure I quite follow. Unless the newly received message is quite long, you should be able to see the entire message on your screen without having to swipe at all. Or are you referring to receiving multiple messages (from one person), then later going to read them all and having to move the screen up to see the first of those new messages because the app scrolls you to the bottom of the last message?

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I'm not sure I quite follow. Unless the newly received message is quite long, you should be able to see the entire message on your screen without having to swipe at all. Or are you referring to receiving multiple messages (from one person), then later going to read them all and having to move the screen up to see the first of those new messages because the app scrolls you to the bottom of the last message?
I am going to see if I can take a screen shot or something. In addition, this might be related to when I click on an iMessage notification. So, I will test by going directly to iMessages and also via a notification.

Thanks for the help!

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
When you receive an iMessage notification, if you click on it, it will take you to your conversation. HOWEVER, I have to scroll up a little to see the message just received.

But, if a new iMessage comes in, and I DO NOT click the notification, and merely go to the Message app and click on the conversation, no scrolling is needed.

Surely am not the only with this ‘issue’. I am on the latest iOS software (15.1)

PS: Not able to screen shot and all that, without redacting a lot, and the point would be missed.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
When you receive an iMessage notification, if you click on it, it will take you to your conversation. HOWEVER, I have to scroll up a little to see the message just received.

But, if a new iMessage comes in, and I DO NOT click the notification, and merely go to the Message app and click on the conversation, no scrolling is needed.

Surely am not the only with this ‘issue’. I am on the latest iOS software (15.1)

PS: Not able to screen shot and all that, without redacting a lot, and the point would be missed.

Well, I have a Google Voice number I can use for testing purposes, so I just sent myself another message. When I click on the notification, this is EXACTLY what i see without touching a thing:

1635209096434.png

As you can see, the latest message is fully visible without having to scroll up. I'm on 15.0.2, but it's always been this way for me as long as I can remember.

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Well, I have a Google Voice number I can use for testing purposes, so I just sent myself another message. When I click on the notification, this is EXACTLY what i see without touching a thing:

View attachment 1878512

As you can see, the latest message is fully visible without having to scroll up. I'm on 15.0.2, but it's always been this way for me as long as I can remember.
Seriously, thanks for taking the time to share this! You know, I use the Swiftkey keyboard. I am going to turn it off, and see if that makes a difference. Because, currently, say I had received the messages screen above, after clicking the notification, the portion with the text would be somewhere in the middle of the screen, around 'Testing testing'. And I would have to scroll to see "Hey, do you have to scroll to see this message..."

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Seriously, thanks for taking the time to share this! You know, I use the Swiftkey keyboard. I am going to turn it off, and see if that makes a difference. Because, currently, say I had received the messages screen above, after clicking the notification, the portion with the text would be somewhere in the middle of the screen, around 'Testing testing'. And I would have to scroll to see "Hey, do you have to scroll to see this message..."

I bet that must be it. Let us know what you find out. Strange, though, how it only does that when you click on the notification (vs. browsing for it manually).

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I bet that must be it. Let us know what you find out. Strange, though, how it only does that when you click on the notification (vs. browsing for it manually).
Now, if only if someone would send me a message - LOL always when you want a message, none a coming through. Time to prompt a conversation with someone. Haha...

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Now, if only if someone would send me a message - LOL always when you want a message, none a coming through. Time to prompt a conversation with someone. Haha...

You could easily sign up for a Google Voice number (it's free). I bet there are other similar free services like that out there as well.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
You could easily sign up for a Google Voice number (it's free). I bet there are other similar free services like that out there as well.
Ah, yes, true.

From my testing so far, it seems to work correctly, now.
I initially turned off SwiftKey, and no scrolling was needed. I also reduced the text size, tested again, and it worked as expected.

I have since reverted to the text size I was using, and reenabled SwiftKey. Still working as designed.
Let's see what the coming days bring.

Thanks for the assistance!

Reactions: usagora

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Here we are, day 2, and still working as designed. Let's see what today and tomorrow brings...

Reactions: usagora
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.