Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PKGupta7057

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
If you delete a message before the "Delivered" message shows up below the message in iMessage, will the message show up on the recipient's iPhone/iDevice?

For example, a friend is visiting Europe and only reads the iMessages when they have access to wifi. I sent a message but it is not yet "delivered" because they have not yet connected to the internet. If I delete this message, will it still show up in their thread?

Thanks

GUNZILLA

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
Yes, I think it sits in a server waiting to be connected so if you delete it will be fine.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
If you delete a message before the "Delivered" message shows up below the message in iMessage, will the message show up on the recipient's iPhone/iDevice?

For example, a friend is visiting Europe and only reads the iMessages when they have access to wifi. I sent a message but it is not yet "delivered" because they have not yet connected to the internet. If I delete this message, will it still show up in their thread?

Thanks

It'll still show up. My wife is in the UK presently and her phone has cellular data turned off (so as not to rack up expensive data costs). I sent her an iMessage but she called me before it went thru (since no data at her end) so I deleted it from my phone. When she connected to free wifi, she received the message anyway.

So I think it sits on an Apple server once sent from your device until it can be delivered. So, like email, once sent it's sent. And like deleting an email off your phone, the recipient's copy remains.

kissthis2012

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
If you delete an imessage before it says it has been delivered the recipient wont get it.. trust me i sent some messages to my boyfriend that umm could have easily ended our relationship but i deleted them before he switched his phone back on and he never mentioned it and we are still together now.. so it must have worked ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.