Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
My phone was off for a week (while I was on holiday). When I returned, I turned it on and received no iMessages. So, I presumed no one contacted me. And, even my iPad and MBP didn’t show any iMessages. Weeks later, I found out that some iMessages were sent to me, I just never received them.

Should iMessages received while my device was off, not be delivered once my iPhone was turned on?
Additionally, since I have the same iCloud account on an iPad and MBP, should those not have received notifications when they were turned on (those were off, too)?

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Can‘t help you why it failed in your case, just commentimg to let you know it should behave exactly like you described it.
Each eligible device should receive/sync the messages once it comes online.
Once confirmed on one device, you won‘t get any additional notifications for the same message.
You also didn‘t miss any timeframe:
Unlike other APNs notifications, however, iMessage messages are queued for delivery to offline devices. Messages are stored on Apple servers for up to 30 days
from https://support.apple.com/guide/security/how-imessage-sends-and-receives-messages-sec70e68c949/web

Reactions: circatee

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Can‘t help you why it failed in your case, just commentimg to let you know it should behave exactly like you described it.
Each eligible device should receive/sync the messages once it comes online.
Once confirmed on one device, you won‘t get any additional notifications for the same message.
You also didn‘t miss any timeframe:

from https://support.apple.com/guide/security/how-imessage-sends-and-receives-messages-sec70e68c949/web

Did not know iMessage only kept for 30 days for ones not received yet.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Similar question here too. When someone sends a text message to my iPhone number, does my iPhone need to be turned on for the message to appear in the iMessage app on my other Apple devices (specifically iPad)?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Similar question here too. When someone sends a text message to my iPhone number, does my iPhone need to be turned on for the message to appear in the iMessage app on my other Apple devices (specifically iPad)?
Provided your devices are set up correctly then:

If the message is an iMessage, your iPad can directly receive it via internet without the iPhone being turned on. Text messages received as iMessage have a blue background.

If it‘s an SMS though, your iPhone needs to be turned on and have an internet connection. Then the SMS is forwarded to your iPad.
To receive the SMS on your iPhone in the first place: If your cell phone carrier doesn’t support SMS transmission via Wi-Fi Calling, it’s additionally necessary for your iPhone to be directly connected to your phone carrier via cell tower.
You can check what Wi-Fi features your carrier supports here: Settings > General > Info > Carrier
If you tap on it, it switches to IMS Status and displays either Voice or Voice & SMS.
Depending on your carrier/country, iOS 16 may be necessary to see all features available.
WiFi-Calling+SMS.png

Last edited:

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Provided your devices are set up correctly then:

If the message is an iMessage, your iPad can directly receive it via internet without the iPhone being turned on. Text messages received as iMessage have a blue background.

If it‘s an SMS though, your iPhone needs to be turned on and have an internet connection. Then the SMS is forwarded to your iPad.
If your cell phone carrier doesn’t support SMS transmission via Wi-Fi Calling, it’s additionally necessary for your iPhone to be directly connected to your phone carrier via cell tower.
You can check what your carrier supports here: Settings > General > Info > Carrier
If you tap on it, it switches to IMS Status and displays either Voice or Voice+SMS.
Depending on your carrier/country, iOS 16 may be necessary to see all features available.

Excellent and clear explanation, better than I could find at Apple support. Thanks much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.