Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Since switching from my iPhone to my brand new LG V10, I've had numerous issues with people still texting me via iMessage. It's been a major headache and, sometimes texts go through as a SMS and other-times they still go in as a iMessage (and of course I do not receive them). The worst case is that my work partner cannot text nor does he receive my texts even though I deregistered my number and, told him to try texting me again without replying to our existing chat.

I've supposedly deregistered my number from iMessage (typing in my number on their website) but, it's still a problem with at least 3 iPhones.

Do you guys have any suggestions I could use to fix this?

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Thanks for the help:)

I might of. I definitely turned iMessage off on my old iOS 6 iPhone 4S but, I used a few more iPhones that I'm unsure if I signed out if them (all of those old ones have been dead since I got my V10).

Is there any way to check and see what devices use my phone number for iMessage?

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I had this about a week ago. I turned off iMessage on all of my devices. The day after, I received no texts for a day or two. My dad asked why I hadn't responded back to 3 messages he sent me, and I told him I didn't receive any at all from anyone. I went and deregistered my number but still had issues. Finally about 1 day after deregistering, the messages started to come through again. Group messages still had issues, and Apple suggests asking the members to delete the thread and start a new one. That sucks but it's the only way I've found it to work.

Time is the biggest thing I guess. I switch platforms regularly and have never had any of these issues before, this was my first issue. I'd just give it a couple days to fully recognize that you don't use iMessage anymore. Also, if you have any important people that you text that you can't afford to miss messages, I'd contact then directly up front to let them know what's going on so they don't think you're ignoring them.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Thanks for your idea!

I forgot to add I got my new phone on December 2nd. I did not get around to de-registering it till December 10th. My co-worker supposidly texted me on December 3rd (How convenient lol ) and, I found out about the problem on December 5th. On December 5th I told him I did not de-register it and, it should be working again soon. Somehow (as of today) it's still not working.

I've been frequently working with him to sort it out. Next Time I see him, I might ask him to delete our thread and try again! If worse comes to worse, I could use one of my other iMessage accounts to talk to him :). I won't receive them as effectively but, that option is still out there!

Overall while switching platforms I knew what I was walking into. I prepared for it by informing my friends of the possible loss of communication and, some of the ways to work around it. So far, it's been very good to me (besides my co-worker)! It's weird because most of the people with iPhones have no issues with texting via SMS while only a few spontaneous contacts have issues between sending/receiving texts from those who jump ship from iOS!

Reactions: Flow39

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Every time I've deregistered I've done it on all my idevices and usually within 5-10 minutes all my texts come through. The only thing that never works until everyone deleted the thread is group messages. Terrible on apples part basically hijacking your number. If you switch between android and iOS a lot you should just stick with SMS

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Every time I've deregistered I've done it on all my idevices and usually within 5-10 minutes all my texts come through. The only thing that never works until everyone deleted the thread is group messages. Terrible on apples part basically hijacking your number. If you switch between android and iOS a lot you should just stick with SMS

That's what I was doing for the longest time, but once I updated to 9.3, iOS switched iMessage back on without my permission for some reason. I figured, "Whatever, I'll just leave it" since I wasn't planning on switching to Android so soon, but then I did and have had some issues. I definitely love the simplicity of iMessage, but when it hijacks my phone number and makes it dang near impossible to switch to other platforms, I no longer like it so much. Keeping it off really is the best option if you switch, like you said.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Do you guys have any suggestions for my friend's iPhone? Both the AT&T and Apple store are confused on what to do. Supposidly he is having issues recieving sms from another android user. Could it be something with his settings? He has a iPhone 6 with 9.3.3 on Verizon.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Make sure those people who are actually having difficulty messaging you are using your 'telephone' number and NOT simply sending to your Apple iCloud email address ID. The issue is likely on their side if they are sending to your iMessage Email ID and not to your telephone number.

Reactions: bgro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.