Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There is no reason for Apple to make this cross-platform right away (if ever). The business models of Google and Facebook require them to have as many eyeballs as possible so of course they're going to be on every platform.

I hope this means Apple is really going to up their game with all their 1st party apps. Stop being OK with everyone using Google, Facebook and Microsoft apps because of mediocre 1st party apps.
Who uses google, facebook, or Microsoft apps? Well okay I have the gmail app installed, only because my inbox has 6 emails already.

rogerbarton

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2016
Who uses google, facebook, or Microsoft apps? Well okay I have the gmail app installed, only because my inbox has 6 emails already.
Well, plenty of people use Facebook apps for social messaging. Messenger and Whatsapp are the two market leaders in Europe.

Skype and Hangouts - soon also Allo - are presumably the Microsoft and Google apps he's referring to.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well, plenty of people use Facebook apps for social messaging. Messenger and Whatsapp are the two market leaders in Europe.

Skype and Hangouts - soon also Allo - are presumably the Microsoft and Google apps he's referring to.
Maybe I'm a rare bird, but don't use Facebook or Skype. Hangouts is used for emergency.

rogerbarton

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2016
Maybe I'm a rare bird, but don't use Facebook or Skype. Hangouts is used for emergency.

To be fair, and I think this is probably true of most people, I'll always use iMessage with my iOS friends / family. I have a few nifty group chats going on there.

But Whatsapp and Messenger come in pretty handy for everyone else. I understand these trends tend to vary quite substantially from region to region, though (eg. Wechat, Line in Asia, Kik is more popular in the US).

Reactions: I7guy

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
iMessage is a huge factor in keeping some people on iOS. When I had my little "bored of iOS" episode and tried a Nexus 6P and S7 Edge, I found that the worst possible messaging experience is on Android.

All of my buddies have iPhones, my wife and kids have iPhones, most of my co-workers have iPhones and the Group MMS thing on Android is abyssmal. I shouldn't have to ask the people I communicate with to switch to a different messaging service just to appease me....

There is a known bug that because I switched from iOS to Android, when I would start a new Group MMS to my friends, it defaulted on THEIR phones (which was started on iMessage) to iMessage and none of my new texts to the ongoing conversation would work. No one got anything. Only fix is to have everyone delete and restart conversations....My buddies HATE having to delete their messages. So it's real a pain.

A universal app would help a lot of people who use Android for work phones, or if something happens and they have to switch from iOS (losing their iPhone and having a temporary phone, etc)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This would also improve the experience of current iPhone users.
How so? Are that many people travelling that much racking up huge roaming charges?

Is this a serious question? Lots of iOS users use gmail, Google maps, Facebook messenger, Microsoft office etc. I want Apple to care about 1st party apps to the point where if people had a choice they would willingly use Apple's apps, not just use them because they're the default that can't be changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.