Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FWRN

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Hello!

I'm beyond frustrated with this issue and I thought updating to Yosemite might fix it but it doesn't.

Essentially, when Beta 1 came out, I was able to install, my iMessage/Facetime worked completely fine, no issues. I decided to downgrade by doing a fresh install of OS X Mavericks. Since then, I have been getting an issue with iMessage and FaceTime and simply cannot sign in anymore.

I am able to login into iCloud, I am able to login into the App Store. Issue is not really with my account but with this activation issue. It simply spins, then stops and says it couldn't login.

Now, when upgraded, I still get the same issue.

Here's what I tried:
-Created a new user account, didn't tie to an iCloud account, Login into iMessage = Nope.
-Added iCloud account individually = Nope
-Deleted old account, deleted old devices that it may send approval requests to = Nope.
-Reinstall OS X = Nope
-Created a new user account, tied it to an iCloud at account during setup, = Nope.

Im seriously mad that I can't think of anything else to do and it seems to be an issue with the activation itself.

I have a rMBP (2012). I have access to two wifi networks (work and home, different ISPs). I have access to hotspot from T-Mobile and a near by Starbucks.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Tommyzors

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
What does the message say? I also had the problem somewhere during public beta when my serial number was wiped from the board. It started to work again after I loaded my serial number back on.

FWRN

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Well first go to about my mac and see if your serial number show up.

Thanks! I realized this was the exact issue. If anyone is searching up and looking for the reason why iMessage/Facetime won't activate, check that you have a serial number listed under your "About this Mac".

Mine was blank, I had to use some internal Apple tool. You can look it up yourself, but better yet, go to an Apple store and have them do it for you.

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.