Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fvargas85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2019
Is anyone else having an issue in iMessage after the iOS 13 update? I go into a message thread and tap the “i” to see the history of photos shared and I see nothing there. The photo still exist on the thread, but I have to scroll through to find photos, like we used to do in older versions

Reactions: atlchamp

Fvargas85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2019
I’ve never used iCloud for messages. Should I switch that option on?

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I’ve never used iCloud for messages. Should I switch that option on?
If you’re not familiar with it, probably not a good idea to turn it on. It’ll eat up your iCloud storage like crazy. I’d say just give it a bit. Maybe they’ll come back once the phone finishes indexing everything from the update.

villi

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
I just noticed the same issue...all pictures remain inline within the text message string, but most do not appear in the info page of the iMessage. Not using iCloud for messages.

Fvargas85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2019
I just noticed that the photos are loading up in more of my conversations. Maybe it does take a while for them to load up.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
I have the same problem. all the shared media in the info tab is gone. voice messages, links, pics/vids. the voice messages are visible in the chat but unplayable and crash when tapped on. iOS 13 is buggy trash smh

Reactions: AnthroMatt

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
For some reason, I can’t paste here. Not sure if it’s me or the forums??

check my post history. Lists of threads about it. It’s an indexing bug. Either broken or intentional. Either way, it’s a dumpster fire in it’s current state compared to 12.4.1, which instantly indexes attachments, shows Live Photo’s, gifs and the like.

Go to your main messages view and search. If you see a notice about something something more available after indexing, your indexing isn’t done. Your attachments will show up after that message is gone. May take a few hours up to and beyond 20+ hours depending on how much you have.

iOS 13 doesn’t show Live Photo’s. It’s marked as such but won’t play them. Even if you save them. However if you go back to your message view and scroll to it, it’s fine. It’s terrible.

Reactions: F23

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Yup I was talking about this a week ago on the GM thread. Some other guy with lots of messages/attachments said it took like over 20 hours for his to pop back up after messages was done indexing. I gave it a full 24 hours but mine never came back and my phone was getting way too hot with light usage. I panicked and downgraded back to 12.4.1 where all is fine. I’m going to wait till 13.2 when all these nick nack annoying bugs are fixed.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014

check my post history. Lists of threads about it. It’s an indexing bug. Either broken or intentional. Either way, it’s a dumpster fire in it’s current state compared to 12.4.1, which instantly indexes attachments, shows Live Photo’s, gifs and the like.

Go to your main messages view and search. If you see a notice about something something more available after indexing, your indexing isn’t done. Your attachments will show up after that message is gone. May take a few hours up to and beyond 20+ hours depending on how much you have.

iOS 13 doesn’t show Live Photo’s. It’s marked as such but won’t play them. Even if you save them. However if you go back to your message view and scroll to it, it’s fine. It’s terrible.
yes when i did a search it says it's still indexing. I've had the phone since Friday. wonder how much longer it'll take, and whether or not iOS 13.1 on the 24th will delay the indexing even further

Flash69

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Austin, TX
This is definitely a bug with iOS 13.

I have restored my iPhone X backup to my iPhone 11 Pro 5 times and each time they are gone. Each time I backed up and restored a different method, IE iCloud restore, phone to phone copy, Mac backup/restore, etc.

I checked this last restore and all my iMessage pictures were under each text thread for a short time then they vanished in the picture view by clicking the i on the iMessage text thread. I did check the size of messages on my X vs 11 Pro and the size in GB is the same so the phone didn’t delete the iMessage pictures, it’s just not showing them for some reason.

Maybe it is an indexing issue as stated above. I will wait over night to see if the pictures reappear. I will say that I upgraded my X to iOS 13 on release day and today it’s showing the pictures. I didn’t know this was a problem so I didn’t check right after upgrade. Another person I know upgraded today and their picture history is gone.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
This is definitely a bug with iOS 13.

I have restored my iPhone X backup to my iPhone 11 Pro 5 times and each time they are gone. Each time I backed up and restored a different method, IE iCloud restore, phone to phone copy, Mac backup/restore, etc.

I checked this last restore and all my iMessage pictures were under each text thread for a short time then they vanished in the picture view by clicking the i on the iMessage text thread. I did check the size of messages on my X vs 11 Pro and the size in GB is the same so the phone didn’t delete the iMessage pictures, it’s just not showing them for some reason.

Maybe it is an indexing issue as stated above. I will wait over night to see if the pictures reappear. I will say that I upgraded my X to iOS 13 on release day and today it’s showing the pictures. I didn’t know this was a problem so I didn’t check right after upgrade. Another person I know upgraded today and their picture history is gone.

I’ve done it so many ways it’s not even funny. Even from fresh with just signing into iCloud, no backup restored. Just iCloud messages and rebuilding my phone from scratch. Still the same. Even a new iCloud account I tested with, same results. It’s a big bug.

How they missed it is beyond me. I reported it multiple times during the beta and it went unacknowledged.

Reactions: AnthroMatt

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Is anyone else having an issue in iMessage after the iOS 13 update? I go into a message thread and tap the “i” to see the history of photos shared and I see nothing there. The photo still exist on the thread, but I have to scroll through to find photos, like we used to do in older versions
i have the same exact issue

Flash69

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Austin, TX
I'm seeing something else strange however it might be related to the indexing that we think is happening.

When I go into General -> iPhone Storage, sometimes my messages shows around 700k. If I go back 1 screen and then go back into iPhone Storage, it shows the correct number for Messages of 20 GB. This seems to happen on my iPhone 11 Pro, which seems to be still indexing however it does not happen on my iPhone X. Both are running iOS 13 however the X was upgraded on release day, 9/19/19. So if this is related to indexing messages and messages photos, that might explain why it's showing odd in storage.

Also, I restored my 11 Pro roughly 20 hours ago and some pictures have started showing up in text messages when clicking on the info button however only around 10 more. I have text message threads with thousands of pictures in them.

I guess we wait to see if they all reappear.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
just an update, all my photos and videos have now appeared after the indexing has finished i guess. the attachments section where the audio messages were is still missing completely tho.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

The only glitch i had was that i needed to re-start a second time for imessage to work at all.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I struggled with iOS 13 restoring my messages and it not showing attachments and photos and links. Regarding the indexing issue.

go to

1. Settings -> Siri & Search ->Messages -> turn everything off.
2. Restart iPhone (not sure if this necessary)
3. Turn on the settings again

then when I went into messages, and looked at those sections it would say more would appear when rebuilding was done.

So that seems to force a rebuild.

arn

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
just an update, all my photos and videos have now appeared after the indexing has finished i guess. the attachments section where the audio messages were is still missing completely tho.

yeah, I have audio messages but no sections for that at all.

mwhit067

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
I was having problem with the pictures in messages after updating to 13.1, but when I started to charge my phone the pictures began to appear. Hopefully this will help somebody out.

Starboy786

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2019

What is mine doesn't show indexing anywhere? All my messages from back to 2014 have loaded and i can search through all of them but im still missing pictures within the messages

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
What is mine doesn't show indexing anywhere? All my messages from back to 2014 have loaded and i can search through all of them but im still missing pictures within the messages

Within the message history or the info page?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.