Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajayjp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2016
iMessage name and photo will not allow me to turn it on saying multiple phone numbers are associated. I do have multiple phone numbers associated since I use the same Apple ID on two different phones. So is this a limitation to use this feature

ee0534bd68758afaaf6a33fb2ca4f5a8.jpg

Reactions: saabstory

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Sorry, can't answer your question, but does anyone know if this feature supports all types of numbers including Android/Nokia/etc users or just iPhone users? In other words, can I share my name/photo with Android users? Thanks.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
iMessage name and photo will not allow me to turn it on saying multiple phone numbers are associated. I do have multiple phone numbers associated since I use the same Apple ID on two different phones. So is this a limitation to use this feature

I don’t have that issue on my work and personal phones and they share the same Apple ID so that I can use iCloud Drive to sync documents etc.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019

Are both devices on iOS 13? I could see that being an issue. Is send and receive for iMessage enabled on both devices? (As in, both devices can receive and send from either number).

Sorry, can't answer your question, but does anyone know if this feature supports all types of numbers including Android/Nokia/etc users or just iPhone users? In other words, can I share my name/photo with Android users? Thanks.

Well, that would require other manufacturers to work with Apple to integrate that feature, so...no. It's only for iMessage anyways.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
I have a question about that feature: If someone shares his name/photo with me does this mean that

i.) this is useful for unknown numbers because I then instantly have a photo and name of the contact

or

ii.) that this will also override any name/photo that I myself have given that contact?

Best wishes
Chris

maticore78

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2017
Has anyone gotten this to work correctly yet? My friend and I are both on beta 2 and set up to share but we don't get the pop up asking if we want to use the photo and name

Reactions: NNowak19

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
I have a question about that feature: If someone shares his name/photo with me does this mean that

i.) this is useful for unknown numbers because I then instantly have a photo and name of the contact

or

ii.) that this will also override any name/photo that I myself have given that contact?

I cannot speak for question ii as I have not played with this with another user on iOS 13 Beta, but as for question i, the answer is potentially, but it depends upon how the user decides to use it.

The user could choose to use a MeMoji, they could choose to use initial icons with a colored background, or they could choose to use a picture of them and their partner, or a picture of their children ala Facebook. We can go even further, and assume that others will do just like Facebook, and use pictures of their favorite celebrity or political figure, or perhaps use a meme. You literally could end up with dozens of people in your contact list with pictures of Colton jumping the fence.

They could also choose to use a nickname, like "Snooki", and you might be left wondering who the heck Snooki is, when it's actually Diane, your third cousin contacting you about the family reunion this Summer.

I really hope the answer to question ii is no, it won't override it, as I can see this getting very annoying, very fast.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
I cannot speak for question ii as I have not played with this with another user on iOS 13 Beta, but as for question i, the answer is potentially, but it depends upon how the user decides to use it.

The user could choose to use a MeMoji, they could choose to use initial icons with a colored background, or they could choose to use a picture of them and their partner, or a picture of their children ala Facebook. We can go even further, and assume that others will do just like Facebook, and use pictures of their favorite celebrity or political figure, or perhaps use a meme. You literally could end up with dozens of people in your contact list with pictures of Colton jumping the fence.

They could also choose to use a nickname, like "Snooki", and you might be left wondering who the heck Snooki is, when it's actually Diane, your third cousin contacting you about the family reunion this Summer.

I really hope the answer to question ii is no, it won't override it, as I can see this getting very annoying, very fast.
Thanks for your answer. I also really hope that there's no overriding since that would really be annoying.

ajayjp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2016
I don’t have that issue on my work and personal phones and they share the same Apple ID so that I can use iCloud Drive to sync documents etc.

I have 2 iPhones, 1 iPad and 2 Macs. All except 1 mac is running the latest beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.