Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Is there a definitive solution to this issue please?

iPhone 6S running iOS 11.4 and MacBook running High Sierra, both up to date.

I've tried the usual solutions mentioned such as:

1. Toggle off/on Short Names
  2. Toggle off/on iCloud Contacts
  3. Toggle off/on iMessages
  4. Restart iPhone
  5. Check Region/Time Zone settings on iCloud.com
  6. Add/remove Country code from phone number in contacts
  7. Reset and restore iPhone from iTunes backup

Still no luck. Contacts show names correctly and Messages on Mac works fine. Also checked that contacts sync to iCloud.com by editing a couple of them.

Any help greatly appreciated.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Nobody?
I've also tried deleting the Exchange account and setting up a single contact on Google, switching off iCloud contacts and deleting them from the phone.
Same result: Notification shows just a number with no name when the message is received.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada

4. Restart iPhone

Still no luck. Contacts show names correctly and Messages on Mac works fine. Also checked that contacts sync to iCloud.com by editing a couple of them.

I have same issue, since I activated cloud messages.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Have not seen this myself, and using iCloud Messages, so, wild guess: using a SMS screener/blocker? Believe they are only supposed to add a bit of text to the incoming message re: "suspected telemarketer", "scam", but can MAYBE see that there is a hiccup in that and or particular blocker app.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
After enabling Siri option to find contacts using other apps, I now get 'Maybe' in front of the sender's name, so an improvement. Still looking to find out why it's only 'maybe'

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

4. Restart iPhone

Do you have contact groups? Perhaps that might be playing some role in all of this?

Have you recently added or removed any email accounts (Gmail, Exchange, etc.)? Perhaps there's something related to contacts that is enabled or disabled there that might be throwing things off?

Also, when you toggled iCloud Contacts off, did you try restarting the phone after that, and then toggling the iCloud Contacts back on (and perhaps restarting one more time)? Sometimes odd things like that can also make a difference.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
I found something that at least helped and that is, setting the Siri Search and Find in the Contacts Settings, to on. Now when a message comes in, at least it says 'Maybe: X'
I've tried adding removing accounts and each time restarting the phone, nothing else seems to have any effect so far.

scrodd

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2018
I had this problem on my new MacBook. I don't think this will help for you iPhone - but maybe it will work for the MacBook - although you may need to fix it in the iPhone first. I eventually found that there were a couple of settings that I needed to change in the Contacts app, which I never use on the Mac, as I use Outlook. Annoyingly, the settings were in Contacts instead of iMessage, which is where I had devoted a lot of my time. I fixed it by going to: Contacts>Preferences>Accounts. Then I checked off the box that enabled Exchange (the account where my contacts resided I guess). Then I went to Contacts>Preferences>General and switched the default account to Exchange. As soon as I did that, iMessage had all my contact names in it again.
Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 12.31.55 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 12.32.08 PM.png

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I had this problem on my new MacBook. I don't think this will help for you iPhone - but maybe it will work for the MacBook - although you may need to fix it in the iPhone first. I eventually found that there were a couple of settings that I needed to change in the Contacts app, which I never use on the Mac, as I use Outlook. Annoyingly, the settings were in Contacts instead of iMessage, which is where I had devoted a lot of my time. I fixed it by going to: Contacts>Preferences>Accounts. Then I checked off the box that enabled Exchange (the account where my contacts resided I guess). Then I went to Contacts>Preferences>General and switched the default account to Exchange. As soon as I did that, iMessage had all my contact names in it again.
View attachment 772171 View attachment 772172
This is happening to me now. Trying your steps above. Odd, because yesterday it was not doing this.
Ugh, being working on various issues with this new Mac Mini M1. Alas, I digress...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.