Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
I hope somebody that works for Apple or somebody that can forward this to somebody that works for Apple does end up seeing this recommendation

I really would like the ability to ONLY get iMessage notifications from certain people (parent/sibling/friend/boss or girlfriend) and not everyone else

right now i have all iMessage notifications turned off and I am still able to get all of the two factor SMS authentication codes without issue (in safari autofill)

having this change to iMessage would be great for getting rid of messages that might not be important but can distract me and others from getting important things done

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Don't think the silent tone will work, as that, I believe, works only for calls. Have used that in the past to simulate "ignore unknowns" currently in iOS.

Something to try (I have not) along the silent ringtone line: set a silent tone for Messages. Then setup an Automation via Shortcuts. For any text message from... action would be to play sound <insert tone you want here>. Yes, the text from list might get lengthy, so not ideal.

Reactions: Justin Cymbal

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I take some/most of what I said back. What @dwfaust said will work, just need to dig a bit (not obvious at first glance).

Contacts, tap the contact, Edit. Scroll down to "Text Tone", tap and get options to get tones, vibrate, Emergency By Pass.

So, default of silent & no vibrate, edit contacts that are important to have a sound and optional vibrate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.