Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Maybe I am simply missing this setting. But, is there no option to have iMessage sound notifications via CarPlay?

Often, a message will come in, and it will flash on the CarPlay screen for a moment. However, there is never a sound. Thus, I could miss the notification.

Thoughts...

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Maybe I am simply missing this setting. But, is there no option to have iMessage sound notifications via CarPlay?

Often, a message will come in, and it will flash on the CarPlay screen for a moment. However, there is never a sound. Thus, I could miss the notification.

Thoughts...
I believe you need sound turned on, on the iPhone to get the notification ding in CarPlay. Don’t quote me on this but give it a shot. I remember having this problem a few years back and I think that was the fix. I use “Announce Messages” now so this doesn’t affect me anymore.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I believe you need sound turned on, on the iPhone to get the notification ding in CarPlay. Don’t quote me on this but give it a shot. I remember having this problem a few years back and I think that was the fix. I use “Announce Messages” now so this doesn’t affect me anymore.
Yea this is probably it. If your phone is on silent, CarPlay will treat it as silent. I wish they had an option to separate the two.

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Yea this is probably it. If your phone is on silent, CarPlay will treat it as silent. I wish they had an option to separate the two.
Ah, interesting. I typically always have my phone on silent. Honestly, who needs all that noise, all the time 😂

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
You can create a couple Shortcuts, one that turns the volume up (ringer and/or media) and then one that turns them down.

Then create a couple automations in the Shortcuts app, one that when you connect to CarPlay, runs the Shortcut that turns the volume up and another that when you disconnect from CarPlay runs the Shortcut that turns the volume back down.

I tried this last night and it worked just fine on my IP15PM. Now, I don’t know which iPhone you have but not sure how this works with the physical mute switch. My Shortcuts are set to add and remove silent mode.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Thoughts...

A couple of thoughts:
  • Turn the Announce Messages setting on... in the Settings app within CarPlay. This setting causes Siri to announce that you have a message (and optionally read it to you) when it comes in.
  • If you have the Messages icon in the left side list, watch for the badging icon to appear on the Message icon. That will let you know you have an unread message.
IMG_1383.PNG IMG_1385.png

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
A couple of thoughts:
  • Turn the Announce Messages setting on... in the Settings app within CarPlay. This setting causes Siri to announce that you have a message (and optionally read it to you) when it comes in.
  • If you have the Messages icon in the left side list, watch for the badging icon to appear on the Message icon. That will let you know you have an unread message.
View attachment 2313130 View attachment 2313131

Thanks for the tip. I actually just went to check, to make the changes. However, I don't even have an announce messages option...

IMG_2625.jpeg

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Thanks for the tip. I actually just went to check, to make the changes. However, I don't even have an announce messages option...

View attachment 2313200

Use CarPlay to have Siri automatically read your incoming text messages and listen for your response.
  1. On your iPhone, go to Settings
    88b2400e45bcf521514b7252cbb2d959.png
    > Siri & Search > Announce Notifications, then turn on Announce Notifications.
  2. Tap CarPlay, then choose any of the following:
    • Announce New Messages: CarPlay starts your drive with Announce Messages active and reads your incoming text messages aloud.
    • Silence New Messages: CarPlay starts your drive with Announce Messages silenced and doesn’t read incoming text messages automatically.
    • Remember Previous Setting: CarPlay remembers whether Announce Messages were active or silenced from the previous drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.