Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I can't recall specifically when this started happening, but iMessage/Messages notifications no longer light up my iPhone 7+ (therefore running iOS 10) screen when received. Other notifications seem to operate fine. Please note I am not using DND (I know what this is), and I have all notification functionality enabled in settings.

I've read some people having this issue, and are labeling it an iOS 10 bug. Seems a little unreasonable if that's the case, so I'm hoping it's something wrong on my end. I also have an Apple Watch, if that matters at all.

Anyone in the same boat, or have any advice?

Thanks!

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Do the notifications vibrate/ding on your watch?

I turned Messages notifications off on my watch, but left them enabled for my phone, and they come through to my phone.

Just seems odd that the Watch always takes precedence.

johnnyxhuynh

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2006
Houston, TX, USA
I just noticed a similar issue this morning. My Watch is on the charger. iPhone is near, ring/vibrate on. SMS notifications come through fine (I'm sending myself test messages through Google Voice); iMessage notifications stay silent. I have to raise my iPhone to see the banner waiting there. What's going on? ‍♂️

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I just noticed a similar issue this morning. My Watch is on the charger. iPhone is near, ring/vibrate on. SMS notifications come through fine (I'm sending myself test messages through Google Voice); iMessage notifications stay silent. I have to raise my iPhone to see the banner waiting there. What's going on? ‍♂️

I've found the only remedy is to turn off Message notifications on your watch, so they default to notifying you on your phone. I guess Apple assumes if you have your watch on you, that will notify you versus your phone. However this is inconsistent with different apps.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
There seems to be an issue occasionally with my Apple Watch where it detects that it is still unlocked and on my wrist when I take it off so the notifications continue going to it instead of my phone.

Ddawson

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2018
On my iPad No notifications on iMessage since 11.2.1 update....dnd is off, hard start tried, all notifications enabled....help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.