Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galaxycat

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
I’m having a problem with sending MMS over Wi-Fi with my iPhone XS Max.The same problem has also happens on my galaxy S9+ and other family members android phones.

Inside my house I barely get a cell signal whatsoever. If I do it’s only one or two bars and it’s either a 3G or 1X. Because of this we rely on Wi-Fi calling to be able to send and receive messages and phone calls in our home. Until about six months ago it has worked fine regardless of which phone we were using.We have no problems with sms. However, photos will rarely send when I’m texting an Android user and WiFi calling only works intermittently.

As soon as I put the phone in airplane mode it will let the photo send over iMessage. If I leave Wi-Fi on and just turn cellular data off it won’t send. It has to be airplane mode with Wi-Fi on for some reason. The same applies to the android phones. When I’m on public Wi-Fi or anybody else’s Wi-Fi everything works as it should. I’ve contacted AT&T because I have U-verse and they say that there’s nothing wrong on their end but I have a feeling it must be on their end.

My temporary solution is just to use Verizon messages since it has Wi-Fi messaging capability built in and doesn’t rely on Wi-Fi calling being enabled like iMessage or any of the various android sms apps.

This is the fourth time I’ve been on the phone with tech support with AT&T. Usually I just get the runaround and they tell me that MMS will only send over a data signal, not Wi-Fi and I have to explain to them that that’s what Wi-Fi calling does it allows you to call as well as text over your Wi-Fi signal. They’re finally sending a technician out for the first time so I’ll see how it goes tomorrow afternoon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.