Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
Soooo, I’ve been pretty good with keeping privacy features enabled & restricting as much as I can from third parties.
I recently dove into my my Amazon account & cleated browsing history, & turned off a lot of settings cuz I really didn’t like how a few Twitter accounts were catering specific things to me. I also recently cleared all of my Safari Browsing History & Data.
FF to this morning, & my wife text me (iMessage) asking me where we can buy fishing rods for the kids. After replying, I start browsing through my Twitter feed & see this (pictured below). I was stunned. I can’t figure out how these accounts could find out about this !
I do know that accounts like this on Twitter tracks peoples browsing habits to cater custom ads but, i haven’t looked up rods or anything to do with fishing ANYWHERE at ANYTIME on my device except for that iMessage. I’m really creeped out right now.

I posted on /r/Apple on Reddit but it got filtered out on the sub by mods. Any advice on how to mitigate this would be appreciated.

Attachments

• E03643DF-4388-4649-9C01-A62A219DE711.jpeg
    E03643DF-4388-4649-9C01-A62A219DE711.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 415

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Soooo, I’ve been pretty good with keeping privacy features enabled & restricting as much as I can from third parties.
I recently dove into my my Amazon account & cleated browsing history, & turned off a lot of settings cuz I really didn’t like how a few Twitter accounts were catering specific things to me. I also recently cleared all of my Safari Browsing History & Data.
FF to this morning, & my wife text me (iMessage) asking me where we can buy fishing rods for the kids. After replying, I start browsing through my Twitter feed & see this (pictured below). I was stunned. I can’t figure out how these accounts could find out about this !
I do know that accounts like this on Twitter tracks peoples browsing habits to cater custom ads but, i haven’t looked up rods or anything to do with fishing ANYWHERE at ANYTIME on my device except for that iMessage. I’m really creeped out right now.

I posted on /r/Apple on Reddit but it got filtered out on the sub by mods. Any advice on how to mitigate this would be appreciated.
That doesn't seem like an ad but a tweet from an account -- meaning everyone who follows that account would see it as well, wether or not they mentioned fishing.

Reactions: CE3

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
That doesn't seem like an ad but a tweet from an account -- meaning everyone who follows that account would see it as well, wether or not they mentioned fishing.

Didn’t even think of it like that LoL. It just seems like these are catered to me. I watch too much tv hahaha

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
This...its not showing as a promoted tweet as far as i can tell so it looks like it was more a case of coincidence that they tweeted this after you'd had the discussion with your wife. Promoted tweets show as such and have an arrow top right where you can dismiss them.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
You are using Tweetbot, right?
Tweetbot does not display Twitter-Ads. Twitter advertisement is only visible in their own client or the web site.

The message you are showing is a regular tweet from the 9to5toys account.

It is not snooping. It is a coincidence.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Probably: she browsed at home and this was served to you based on IP address.
This. I looked for something online, and then my wife had ads for it in FB, but she never searched for it. Is there a procedure to separate users, so if you were trying to get a gift, it wouldn't ruin the surprise?

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Do you follow 9to5Toys on Twitter? If so, it was just a coincidence.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This. I looked for something online, and then my wife had ads for it in FB, but she never searched for it. Is there a procedure to separate users, so if you were trying to get a gift, it wouldn't ruin the surprise?
Based on some earlier replies, it seems like it was simpler than and not really related to that. It was just a tweet from a followed account, not an ad or anything targeted or anything like that.

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005

Do you share the iCloud account with other family members? Could they have been browsing on safari ?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do you share the iCloud account with other family members? Could they have been browsing on safari ?
As mentioned in various earlier posts, it's not any of that, it was simply a tweet from an account that was followed (which everyone else who followed that account also saw at the same time).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.