Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadDogMike

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
So, I was on a plane the other day, connected to the WiFi and I received a text from a friend. I replied and he said he received it.

I didn't think about it at the time, but later I realized, "Hey, he doesn't have an iPhone, he has an Android!" And sure enough, my messages to him are green and the text field says "Text Message," not iMessage. So how could that work? Did Apple come up with some new way to actually SMS over WiFi that I'm not aware of?

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
So, I was on a plane the other day, connected to the WiFi and I received a text from a friend. I replied and he said he received it.

I didn't think about it at the time, but later I realized, "Hey, he doesn't have an iPhone, he has an Android!" And sure enough, my messages to him are green and the text field says "Text Message," not iMessage. So how could that work? Did Apple come up with some new way to actually SMS over WiFi that I'm not aware of?

You are probably not on airplane mode

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

What carrier are you with? Some support SMS over wifi

Reactions: MadDogMike

MadDogMike

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It's Verizon. I thought only T-Mobile had free texting over GoGo WiFi. Verizon does have it's own "Messages+" app that will text over WiFi, but I was using the native iOS iMessage app.

BearBert

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2015
It is because you have WIFi calling enabled. I use this almost everyday when at the gym, it's located in the basement of a commercial building where nobody gets any signal. Luckily they have complimentary wifi. I just put my phone in airplane mode and turn on the Wifi. I know T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon can do this.

FullSizeRender.jpg

MadDogMike

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It is because you have WIFi calling enabled. I use this almost everyday when at the gym, it's located in the basement of a commercial building where nobody gets any signal. Luckily they have complimentary wifi. I just put my phone in airplane mode and turn on the Wifi. I know T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon can do this.

Oh cool, I use WiFi Calling all the time when I'm overseas but I didn't know enabling it also enables texts over WiFi. Pretty slick!

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Just curious - but is this any different than when that I use imessage on my Mac connected with Ethernet to send all my text messages when at my desk to Apple and Non-Apple devices?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Just curious - but is this any different than when that I use imessage on my Mac connected with Ethernet to send all my text messages when at my desk to Apple and Non-Apple devices?
A bit, yes - the feature you are using is called 'Text Message Forwarding' which allows your other devices to send SMS messages via your iPhone using its normal cellular connection.

Here, the OP didn't have a cellular connection, but did have Wi-Fi calling, and the SMS was sent successfully via Wi-Fi.

allen.m.cohen

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
Westlake Village, Ca

View attachment 681237
I have TMobile and can't do SMS send over WiFi (iPhone to Android)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.