Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
iMessage: when traveling abroad, no data, have local number - SMS or iMessage?

Here's what I did when I travelled overseas (from Australia to USA).
I simply took my SIM card out of my iPhone before I boarded the plane. While in the USA, I used wifi everywhere & iMessage worked with my Australian number even though the SIM was not in my iPhone. I could not send or receive SMS, but I could send and receive iMessage using my Australian phone number & that was good enough for me.
I didn't put a USA SIM card in my iPhone. I think that's the trick & why it worked for me.
The reason I took my SIM card out was so that I could not be hit with huge international charges & I relied on wifi & that was enough.
So this might be another consideration for the OP?

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
iMessage worked with my Australian number even though the SIM was not in my iPhone.

I'm glad that it worked, you're right about the part that you didn't stick another SIM into the phone.

Just keep in mind, if the number gets unchecked or dissociated (is that the opposite of associated?) for any reason, you will have no way to reactivate it until you return to your home carrier.

Don't try sticking that SIM into any other iPhone either.

striders

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
So reading through the posts, the consensus seems to be:

1). DO NOT disable iMessage setup with the US number when traveling abroad. Just take out the US SIM card. Any iMessage can be received IF the iMessage is setup to also use email address. Otherwise, no iMessage received.

2). When using FOREIGN SIM card (in the foreign country), DO NOT enable iMessage with the foreign number.

On #2, what will iMessage show under "Settings"? Will it prompt me to add the foreign number to iMessage and have the option to NOT do so?

My biggest worry is that using a foreign SIM card will mess up iMessage, such that when I return to the US I can no longer receive those iMessages.

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
When using FOREIGN SIM card (in the foreign country), DO NOT enable iMessage with the foreign number.

Nope.. as soon you put in a foreign SIM, *poof* original number gone on ALL devices. Because your Apple ID knows a new SIM has been put inside the original iPhone.

what will iMessage show under "Settings"?

A pop-up will show when you insert a new sim. "Your carrier may charge for sms messages used to activate iMessage". Tapping OK will enable the new number for iMessage.

when I return to the US I can no longer receive those iMessages
It's more likely than not to happen. Just get an tethering or hotspot device and keep the SIM in the phone at all times if it matters to you so much.

Or start iMessaging your contacts with your Apple ID, within the week, your regular contacts would have migrated the chat to your Apple ID instead of the phone number.

striders

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Nope.. as soon you put in a foreign SIM, *poof* original number gone on ALL devices. Because your Apple ID knows a new SIM has been put inside the original iPhone.

A pop-up will show when you insert a new sim. "Your carrier may charge for sms messages used to activate iMessage". Tapping OK will enable the new number for iMessage.

It's more likely than not to happen. Just get an tethering or hotspot device and keep the SIM in the phone at all times if it matters to you so much.

Or start iMessaging your contacts with your Apple ID, within the week, your regular contacts would have migrated the chat to your Apple ID instead of the phone number.

Thanks for the information!. I need the phone for call and texting (with the foreign SIM card) when traveling, but it based on what you wrote, looks like there should be no problem with iMessage when I swap the SIM card as long as I don't enabled iMessage with the new number. For Data I'd rent hotspot devices.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Heres the only way I've gotten iMessage to work reliably while overseas:

Two phones. I know not everyone will be able to do this, but heres what I did. I took an old 4S with me overseas. I put my US Sim in that phone and used my Apple ID with iMessage, enabling the number to be used across all my devices.

Upon arrival in foreign country, I put the new sim in my main phone. Then after everything activates, with the 4S on Wifi, I was asked if I wanted to use my US number with my main phone for iMessage and Facetime. I said yes. As long as the second phone "checks in" via wifi every now and then, my US number stayed active for iMessage.

you can then set your US number as caller ID for iMessage, and pick up where you left off for all iMessage conversations across all your devices. Locals can message your international number. Android users can text your international number and incur fees: serves them right for being a lame android user.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
OP, a suggestion that my brother and I take advantage of, just a take off of your last post?

He travels overseas often and I do so occasionally, and we both have iPhones (he uses a 5S on ATT/GCI and I use a 6 on VZW). We both bought a cheap, newer Nokia Windows Phone direct from MS, a Nokia 635. The plan is to use the Nokia for the local SIM cards we buy, and use our iPhone with the data hotspot. We leave the iPhone in Airplane Mode, then enable wifi so we can connect to the hotspot and get messaging (Messages/email) without jumping through hoops. And, nobody wants to steal a cheap Windows Phone.

I take advantage of calling home via Facetime audio, but my brother hasn't got the hang of that yet.

I don't know about my brother, but I actually like Nokia Maps on Windows Phone much better than Apple Maps and Google Maps when traveling abroad. I connect the Windows Phone to the wifi hotspot too. We've used Tep Wireless (they have an unlimited data plan too) and XCOM, depending on the travel plans we have. Enjoy your trip!

striders

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Thanks for all the info guys.

I may found an answer to my question: apparently, T-Mobile USA have a plan called Simple Choice that INCLUDES data and text in select countries for FREE.

INFO: http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

You can also search which countries is included. I.e. In Japan, text and data is free and based on my research, you get 3G connection. For free, not to shabby. :)

I am still figuring out the GSM compatibility though - would iPhone 6+ from T-Mobile have the radios to support <country here> cellular network?

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Heres the only way I've gotten iMessage to work reliably while overseas:

Two phones. I know not everyone will be able to do this, but heres what I did. I took an old 4S with me overseas. I put my US Sim in that phone and used my Apple ID with iMessage, enabling the number to be used across all my devices.

Upon arrival in foreign country, I put the new sim in my main phone. Then after everything activates, with the 4S on Wifi, I was asked if I wanted to use my US number with my main phone for iMessage and Facetime. I said yes. As long as the second phone "checks in" via wifi every now and then, my US number stayed active for iMessage.

Brilliant.

I've been looking for a way to solve this mess, and this is so good. Should be easy to find an old beater of a phone to do it with. These days you can get a 5 for $50 (cracked screen maybe, who cares?). On my last trip, iMessage was such a debacle. I used a hotspot but took my SIM card out so as to avoid any accidental charges/texts (and now that I see how much I'm willing to pay to make it all work via an iPhone 5 I see how crazy that must seem). I ended up losing the number in my iPhone even though I never put another SIM into it. So weird!

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
OP, a suggestion that my brother and I take advantage of, just a take off of your last post?

He travels overseas often and I do so occasionally, and we both have iPhones (he uses a 5S on ATT/GCI and I use a 6 on VZW). We both bought a cheap, newer Nokia Windows Phone direct from MS, a Nokia 635. The plan is to use the Nokia for the local SIM cards we buy, and use our iPhone with the data hotspot. We leave the iPhone in Airplane Mode, then enable wifi so we can connect to the hotspot and get messaging (Messages/email) without jumping through hoops. And, nobody wants to steal a cheap Windows Phone.

I take advantage of calling home via Facetime audio, but my brother hasn't got the hang of that yet.

I don't know about my brother, but I actually like Nokia Maps on Windows Phone much better than Apple Maps and Google Maps when traveling abroad. I connect the Windows Phone to the wifi hotspot too. We've used Tep Wireless (they have an unlimited data plan too) and XCOM, depending on the travel plans we have. Enjoy your trip!

Wouldnt it be simpler just to buy a mobile hotspot instead? Then you have 1 device only. Then again, I have found substantial variability in foreign cell phone shops being able to activate the SIM card for use in my hotspot.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Wouldnt it be simpler just to buy a mobile hotspot instead? Then you have 1 device only. Then again, I have found substantial variability in foreign cell phone shops being able to activate the SIM card for use in my hotspot.
We "rent" a hotspot from Tep, their service is pretty convenient and it just works when we opt for one. Our days of going all over the place are pretty much done - the destination is just that now that we're older, so a local SIM works very well. He works in remote Alaskan locations and I'm all over the PNW, much of which has no cell coverage, so we both carry sat phones and take them with us anyway. 95% of the time now, we're playing, eating, or drinking when we travel - and nobody wants to see those pictures... :D

cjh123

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2016
I am in a similar situation... can anyone help?

i have an iphone 6 and am in spain for 4 months. I took out my AT&T sim (after unlocking my phone for international use) and put it an Orange pay as you go sim card. Its working great, except since now my number is +34 all my contacts that were previously entered WITHOUT +1 arent showing up as contacts. So my moms number shows up unassociated with her contact name "Mom" because her number doesnt have a +1 in my contacts. Is there a way to change this without manually changing every single number???

Thanks so much!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.