Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
Hey all! I am having an issue that's persisted over the last few months after multiple iOS updates (both on my end and the person I'm having this issue with), and neither of us have this issue with any of our other contacts.

I have an iMessage thread with a longtime friend where we chat usually every day. As of the last few months, at some random point in our conversation - almost without fail - I'll send a message and it'll "hang" without delivering for 3-5 minutes before falling back and sending as SMS. From his end, he says he receives the message twice but delayed.

Neither of us have this issue with any of our other contacts, and it only seems to happen with me texting him and not vice versa. I have no clue what could be causing it- his phone is not dead or on bad cell reception when it happens, either- he lives in my city and is often even on WiFi when it occurs.

Sometimes the issue will subside for a few days before rearing it's ugly head again. Anyone else have this problem, or any ideas? iPhone X on 13.7 but the issue started circa iOS 13.2, seemingly. On his end it's an iPhone XR (started when he had an 8 Plus though) on 13.7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.