Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZestyOne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
Paradise
Is anyone else experiencing this with iMessages on OSX 10.13.6?

It's extremely frustrating... im 99% sure its a bug/iMessage servers going down

1. Sending texts a lot of times results in sporadic messages not being sent with a red !, yet the person sees them because they reply to it (I'm on strong wifi, has nothing to do with my side). Sometimes it will send 5 messages and then 1 random message of text in the middle will randomly not go through.

2. Then, imessages will freeze

3. if you hide or quit imessage and re-open it, it literally acts as if its maximized (but its not there, anywhere..). after 15 seconds of waiting it appears very tiny in the bottom left and corner with the window completely reset size to a very small size in like a 100x100 pixel square.

4. If you click different people's names on the left hand side of desktop imessages while its bugging out, it highlights that persons name you click but still shows the conversation in the right pane from the old person. You have to let it sit for 10 seconds before the actual persons conversations appear.

5. Theres huge delays in anything you click inside imessages while its crashing, and sending things literally visually shows the message to the wrong person. It doesnt actually send wrong, it just visually shows it as completely all randomized and mixed up (conversation<-->recipient).

6. There's about 5 other glitches during this whole mess that I don't need to type because you get the idea

It's an absolute train wreck, and on top of that this happens like every single day. its infuriating

John6Plus

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Holland, MI
I'm getting the red ! with "Not Delivered" (even though it was) on macOS (running 10.13.6). It's happening on every message sent from my Mac, and syncing with my phone is weird and out of order. I think I'll try disabling sync with iCloud but my phone is working fine and it has it enabled. It just started for me today, but it's also the first day I've been using my Mac for texting since probably Friday.

ZestyOne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
Paradise
In case anyone has this same issue, I solved it...

1. Turn OFF iMessage sync in settings ... MAKE SURE ITS OFF OR YOU CAN DELETE ALL YOUR MESSAGES OFF THE CLOUD ON ACCIDENT. I restarted my computer just to be safe to make sure the setting was still off
2. Sign out of imessages inside imessage settings
3. Start deleting all the messages
4. Go to ~/Library/Messages and delete all the files (3-4 of them). Then go inside each respective folder and delete everything in each folder. Its probably better instead of deleting it you move it to a temporary folder. At the end you should have 3-4 empty folders and zero files
5. Restart (if you try to open imessages without restarting it wont work)
6. sign into imessages, turn on sync, let it download

Presto, problem solved..

Brad Smith

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2003
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Did you have iMessage in the Cloud turned on? I’m having all of the same behavior, but don’t have it turned on. Wondering if the procedure might be the same to fix it without losing messages on any devices.

ZestyOne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
Paradise
Did you have iMessage in the Cloud turned on? I’m having all of the same behavior, but don’t have it turned on. Wondering if the procedure might be the same to fix it without losing messages on any devices.

I had it turned on before doing my 'fix' i mentioned. As long as you have ANOTHER device which is properly synced AND has icloud sync turned ON, then you can turn it off on the broken device and you wont lose messages.

Brad Smith

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2003
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I had it turned on before doing my 'fix' i mentioned. As long as you have ANOTHER device which is properly synced AND has icloud sync turned ON, then you can turn it off on the broken device and you wont lose messages.
Ah. I can’t turn on iMessage sync because my iCloud account and my iMessage account are different Apple IDs. Long story involving the varied history of MobileMe and iCloud (which is my iCloud account) which is now linked as a Canadian Apple ID and my regular Apple ID (American) is linked to my main email and is what I have iMessage setup with. So each device essentially maintains it’s own copy of each message rather than syncing between them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.