Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
Hello all,
I have a weird problem with Messages and despite extensive searching, I can't seem to find a way around it. Of course I may have missed something obvious, so feel free to bash me. :)

The issue is very simple: every time I send an image, either from my Mac (Sierra) or my iPhone (10.0.2), it gets resized a little bit. I became aware of this after I upgraded to Sierra, and a friend I often exchange screenshots with pointed out that they were smaller than they should. Neither I nor he are on retina screens, so that's not an issue.

I just tried sending him various images from both my iPhone and Mac, both with and without enabling "low-quality image mode", and the issue persists.
For instance a screenshot from the iPhone 7 should be 750x1334, but gets sent as 719x1280; if I open it in Preview on the Mac from the conversation, I can confirm that as well; the problem is clearly on my end.
A 720x960 image sent from Messages on Sierra is transferred as 600x800, though in that case if I open it from the conversation, it's still 720x960.
Sending a photo taken with the iPhone 7's camera results in a 3000x2250-pixel image being sent, but I don't know if that's to be expected or what; after enabling the "low-quality image mode" setting, it becomes a 1024x768 image.

All of this whenever I send images to _anyone_, as I confirmed it with another friend as well. When they send me images, however, they retain the correct size.

I honestly have no idea how to fix this, given that it happens both on macOS and iOS and seems linked to the account more than anything. If anyone has any idea at all, that'd be most welcome!

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I also tried from my 2012 MacBook Pro, also with Sierra. A 770x436 screenshot became a 640x362 image once the chat synced up on my Mini. It does seem to stick to "known" sizes such as 640, 720, 800, 1024...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.